oil injection pump!!

I reinstalled the oil injection system on my SLH. New line from oil tank to new inline filter, new line from filter to pump, new 3mm lines to the carbs. Verified arm is aligned with witness mark. Cracked open the pump "bleed screw" oil seeped out. All good. Ran the engine a few minutes (~4 total) at idle and doesn't appear oil is flowing from the the pump to the carbs. One line from the pump to the carb has about 1" of oil, the other is dry. The new lines are very clear so it's easy to see what's going on (or what's not going on).

1. Is the flow so low at idle that it's going to take time to fill the line? Do I need to be more patient? If I move the oil pump arm to "full throttle" position with the engine at idle, will it force more oil to flow?
    2. Do I need to back fill the 3 mm lines? Bleed the air?
    3. Is the pump not working? It appeared to be working before I installed it. (Maybe this is why the engine self-destructed with previous owner?)
    4. Do I need to reinstall the block off kit and forget it?
    5. Is my mechanic an idiot? (Don't answer that)

I thought this would be a pretty simple project.

Banned User
    +1
    If your tank is premixed, the lines should fill themselves. Very little oil is moved at idle. Moving the arm while idling will help. I usually manually fill the lines before attaching them to the pump.

Bryan, the fuel tank still has premix. I was going to watch the oil in the 3mm lines and when oil made it to the carbs, fill the gas tank at the pump which would cut my premix to ~60:1, then next fill up it should be running on straight gasoline.

So do you suggest I just ride, monitor the situation and let it take care of itself?

Banned User
    +1
    I would try running it strapped to the trailer, pulling the oil pump arm until the lines fill up. I would want to see them actually fill up. I wonder if pulling the lines off the carbs one at a time until each is full would speed it up. Then its not pushing against the check valve on the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I would try running it strapped to the trailer, pulling the oil pump arm until the lines fill up. I would want to see them actually fill up. I wonder if pulling the lines off the carbs one at a time until each is full would speed it up. Then its not pushing against the check valve on the carb.
    Like Brian said,leave it running strapped to the trailer, but I would leave the lines on the carbs, just pull the lever to full open , bring the rpm 's up and just watch it slowly fill the lines it doesn't take long, and then you know that all three lines are pumping,

Bryan & Stoker - thanks for the advice. You guys nailed it! Backed into the water, started the engine, reached in with my finger and pulled the oil pump arm to full throttle position with engine at idle. Oil started chugging up the 2 lines pretty quickly. Took 2-3 minutes, couple blips on the throttle and oil had filled the 3 mm lines all the way to the carb inlet.

So now it's fill the gas tank with pump gas, keep the oil tank full and should be good to go....

Thread Information