Engine exhaust Overheating 2007 RXP - help

Ski is flushed after each use in salt and bay water. Exhaust hi temp alarm likes to go off at WOT. It seems the problem of not getting enough water in exhaust. Other threads have suggested installing water strainer at intake side to intercooler, or flushing or testing intercooler for debris. Also suggested on forum, drilling ports holes larger at exhaust / J pipe. Wondering if water strainer will help or slow water flow intake, will drilling out these holes to j pipe help (not sure). Currently I am using salt away flushing attachement to help. also, have not pulled intercooler yet. I am sure many others are having this issue also. Thanks.

+1
    Exhaust temp sensor is located in the exiting port of the oem waterbox. Water enters the exhaust stream from the j-pipe into the waterbox through the three pissers. Remove the j-pipe and check those three holes first. Make sure they aren't blocked with any debris etc. Be sure to flush it out as much as possible while you have it out. If warning still exists, pull the exhaust manifold off next and check it for salt buildup etc. While you have the Exhaust manifold off, you can back flush the intercooler as well.

You have to be careful if the warning persists. The excessive exhaust temps will melt the plastic components (Resonator, Exhaust Tip) and cause the ski to sink. Ask how I know lol

+1
    Sounds like you've got some blockage in the exhaust cooling pissers or a bad exhaust sensor...

+1
    Check your clamps on your water box. I bet a clamp either broke or is loose.

Thanks.. I will pull the J-pipe if necessary. Have anyone enlarged these pisser holes at all ? The dealer said their is a small hose under the j pipe that gets clogged also, not easy to get at, without pulling j-pipe, not sure the function of that hose. Thanks for all responses !

+1
    the hose out the top of the J pipe is a water outlet
    if you pinch off that hose you will increase the water going to the waterbox/muffler

+1
    What would happen when you increase the water going through the waterbox/muffler? I to have the same problem and that line was clogged for me.

+1
    Check and make sure that the 2.75 hose that goes between j-pipe and the water box is properly connected.
    If the upper SS clamp is too low then it could block the water passage and give you heat/exhaust temperature.

+1
    Check your pump make sure your plastic filter nut did not come off you will have little to no water pressure

Thread Information