99 SLH sunk - why?

My kids were using the jetskis last week and tied them up at the dock for the night. (Both '99 SLH's) Wind came up overnight and one of the skis got wedged under the other. When they came out in the morning the one that was wedged under the other had sunk. I got there later that day. They had drained the hull, but the motor was hydrolocked. I drained it and got it running so all is good with the motor. My question is, why did it sink in the first place? When I rolled it up on its side to get the water out of the engine, water ran out of the hull along the mating line between the top and bottom halves of the hull. Is this normal? Shouldn't this seam be sealed?

+1
    I think you found where it leaked from.

+1
    id say with the butt kicking it got with the wind and the other ski it cracked the hull seam, my 99 SLX leaked in the hull seam, i figured out where the leak was, and caulked it

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    id say with the butt kicking it got with the wind and the other ski it cracked the hull seam, my 99 SLX leaked in the hull seam, i figured out where the leak was, and caulked it
    I assume you caulked it from the inside. What did you use?

+1
    I caulked it from the inside as well as the outside i removed the rub rail and injected a ton of caulk as much as I could up there... I used 100% caulk i found the leak infact by lifting the front of the trailer as far up ion the air as i could get it and flooding the back of the ski with a hose, now another way is launch the ski grab a flashlight and look for water, you should see about where its coming in, it will be flowing in from ontop of or under the foam, now if its in the back there is A LOT of foam back there, thats where mine was and I cut the foam out. but if its in the side...wellll that will be tricky id try sealing it from the outside first and seeing if it still leaks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by drwet View Post
    ... When I rolled it up on its side to get the water out of the engine, water ran out of the hull along the mating line between the top and bottom halves of the hull.

... Shouldn't this seam be sealed?
    The seam between the upper and lower halves of the hull should be bonded, not just sealed.

For small sections, just using sealant would be fine.

But keep in mind that much of the strength in these hulls comes from the top and bottom halves being bonded into a single unit. Sealant will not resist the hull flexing and bending, which proper bonding transfers between the two haves to maintain the hull integrity.

If a significant section of bonding has failed, think about how the hull strength is affected.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... When I rolled it up on its side to get the water out of the engine, water ran out of the hull along the mating line between the top and bottom halves of the hull.

The seam between the upper and lower halves of the hull should be bonded, not just sealed.

But keep in mind that much of the strength in these hulls comes from the top and bottom halves being bonded into a single unit. Sealant will not resist the hull flexing and bending, which proper bonding transfers between the two haves to maintain the hull integrity.

If a significant section of bonding has failed, think about how the hull strength is affected.
    Anybody ever successfully rebounded the two halves of the hull on one of these things together?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Anybody ever successfully rebounded the two halves of the hull on one of these things together?

I wouldn't worry about that. I think there were a few models that had leaks at the bond line. I would just find the leak and seal it up.

Thread Information