Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Die Hard AGM Battery

I was in K Mart this morning and looked through the battery section to see if they had a battery for my wife's Polaris SLT. They had a Die Hard Gold AGM, the correct part# for Polars PWC, nomal price $107 on sale for $79. Sounded okay so I put it in the cart. At checkout, it rang up as $60. I brought in a core and they gave me $15 back. Total cost for an AGM technology battery = $45!!

Either this is a real POS battery or K Mart is nuts!

+1
    I guess you will find out! LOL

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is it a Deka battery?

The battery posts are easy to identify it as a Deka, especially the red plastic cap with two brass spacer rings.

85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462
    Remember these batteries do require some H20 the Absorbed Glass Mat batteries do have vents just like a common lead acid battery, but not nearly so often. Have 8 Northstar NSB 170 FT's each one weighs in at 140 lbs. which my son changes out every 2 years. Two in series make a great DC welder with no duty cycle. Just recall temperature has more effect on battery life in normal operation and heat is your batteries worst enemy. The Northstar website has great information on these batteries for those who want to get maximum service out of AGM and Lead Acid. Charge at 14.7 volts at 72 degrees and a float voltage of 13.62v. Wally World has 1.5 amp battery maintainers for $20 I have 4 years on my riding mower battery so that should say something since we just had 13 days of 100+. I high recommend using some type of float charger especially on our battery equipped toys.

My 38 year old son has some nice toys just got email:
    Ladies & Gentlemen,
    I hope this e-mail finds everyone well.

Next week on Thursday the 22nd of August we would like to invite you to a track event we are hosting with the Apex Driving School. Instructors will be on hand for one-on-one instruction driving the 12C and 12C Spider at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. We will have 4 cars available to drive, sales & technical staff for any questions, and refreshments.

Slots will be available every half-hour from 9am to 4:30pm with a break at 12:30p for lunch. Times will be on a first come, first serve basis.

You are welcome to bring your own car to take onto the track, but please let me know ahead of time.

We look forward to having you out there!

Best Regards,

Grenville (Gren) Lewis V
    Sales Consultant

Park Place Premier Collection
    5300 Lemmon Avenue
    Dallas, TX 75209

972-743-3815 C
    214-443-8269 O
    214-525-5493 F
    [email protected]
    www.parkplace.com

“If you have a Ferrari 458; do not attempt to keep up with a McLaren 12C. You will either be humiliated or killed.” - Jeremy Clarkson

I will be there around 10-10:30am. My track time is 11am. Here's his car: Attachment 310878 and his alternate Attachment 310879 and work vehicleAttachment 310880

Older than dirt Ed

Not sure but the two brass spacer rings does not sound familiar.

The battery is installed but I still have the box and instructions. I'll got dig it out and look. So far, the battery is very powerful. Makes for an easy starting ski. I should have went back and purchased another one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoog View Post
    Remember these batteries do require some H20 the Absorbed Glass Mat batteries do have vents just like a common lead acid battery, but not nearly so often.

Have 8 Northstar NSB 170 FT's each one weighs in at 140 lbs. which my son changes out every 2 years. Two in series make a great DC welder with no duty cycle. Just recall temperature has more effect on battery life in normal operation and heat is your batteries worst enemy.

The Northstar website has great information on these batteries for those who want to get maximum service out of AGM and Lead Acid. Charge at 14.7 volts at 72 degrees and a float voltage of 13.62v. Wally World has 1.5 amp battery maintainers for $20 I have 4 years on my riding mower battery so that should say something since we just had 13 days of 100+. I high recommend using some type of float charger especially on our battery equipped toys...
    On these small 19 Amp hour AGM batteries, especially the factory sealed Deka type, if the battery vents anything then the battery is probably dying.

Charge them using a decent AGM compatible charger, replace them when they start to weaken (which should be years).

East-Penn (manufacture of the Deka AGM battery) also has comprehensive charging and care information on their web site. Their PDF is linked from somewhere around here...
    Last edited by K447; 08-25-2013 at 09:35 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoog View Post
    Remember these batteries do require some H20 the Absorbed Glass Mat batteries do have vents just like a common lead acid battery, but not nearly so often.
    WRONG on the venting, the other info is accurate. Justr get a charger that says "AGM" compatible on the box. Most newer chargers with charge % indicators are proper. Older floor model and HF chagers will fry the battery.

I had a deka in last month that was a victim of an overcharge with a 80's vintage sears floor charger. @ 2amp the battery got hot enough overnight to balloon the case out to the point I was surprised it didn't burst.

not only that but a shameless promotion for the driving school event.

DON'T EVER open an AGM battery. The only thing that can kill one quicker is a half inch drill and a bottle of tequila.

"Hey..I hear the elves inside have a bottle of 50 year old scotch that keeps the hamsters running the wheel"

That is a great deal on that size battery, I have a smaller one that I got for my sons electric 4wheeler, it gets charged quite a bit and does a great job. For the ski I got a Deka true sealed AGM battery, a real sealed battery you shouldn't have to fill it and charge it before use.

Banned User
    +1
    I just bought one of the Deka AGMs at Autozone for $85.99. Great price on a great battery.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you buy a deka, make sure it's fully charged before putting it into service. They seem to ignore inventory at auto parts store and a customer came in with a no start polairs the other day with a new "deka" that [email protected] 25%. It was close to a year old ( by the secret coded sticker and it needed 24 hours on a floater to brig it up to full charge) Didn't have enough left to fire the cd when the engine was cranking. Once charged..started right up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information