Question no start and back fires though exhaust

hello everyone i am new to the water world, i recently got a 1200cc polaris virage tx. my problem is the waverunner will not start and, back fires through exhaust. can i get some advise on where to start also i dont know what year this runner is, i looked at the vin and got some numbers
    Last edited by lahie; 08-18-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    I would be willing to bet you have a weak battery. What happens in this scenario is that you are cranking the motor and there is not enough voltage to fire the plugs. When you let go of the start button, there is enough voltage to briefly spark, and any excess fuel in the exhaust from cranking the motor ignites. You need at least 10.6 volts while cranking to get spark on these motors. Also confirm the year and model, I don;t think there was a TX in 2004. look at the last 2 numbers on the hull ID plate. That will tell you the model year.

ok so i wrote down the vin and the last two numbers are 00, would this mean that my waverunner is a 2000 and if so what are my options. i have hooked a jumper pack to my battery so i am getting more than enough juice. i was thinking that i might have a bad reed valve

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lahie View Post
    ok so i wrote down the vin and the last two numbers are 00, would this mean that my waverunner is a 2000 and if so what are my options. i have hooked a jumper pack to my battery so i am getting more than enough juice. i was thinking that i might have a bad reed valve
    if back firing the the carbs, its a very good chance you have a broken reed valve, and if not the reason for the back fire..the back fire would have most likely caused the broken reed

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This engine has three cylinders, and has carburetors, not fuel injected, correct?

yes it's a 3 cly 2stroke. it is like i am not getting fuel and when i try to prime the carbs by adding fuel it backfires

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lahie View Post
    yes it's a 3 cly 2stroke. it is like i am not getting fuel and when i try to prime the carbs by adding fuel it backfires
    Just to be clear, the spark plugs stick straight up from the top of the engine, correct?

Make sure the spark plug wires are on the correct cylinders.

Unplug and ground the center and rear spark plug wires. Now try to get the engine to start on just the front cylinder. It should not backfire, and it should start and run, albeit roughly. You may need to apply some throttle to get it to run on only one cylinder.

If that works, ground the MAG cylinder and move to the CEN cylinder, and do the same test. After that, move to the PTO (rear) cylinder.

See this video for an idea how to test the engine one cylinder at a time;

Thread Information