Polaris slt750 completely dead

About 3 weeks ago, 96 Polaris slt750 with fuji engine was running great and then would just die while at medium speed. Restarted instantly, run fine for several minutes and die again. Brought it back to the dock and a week later tried to start it and there was no spark. Another week later picked up new agm battery. While installing new battery, it touched the black electrical box and sparked very very briefly. I put the plastic cap back on between battery and box and hit the ignition button and heard something spinning (flywheel?) but the engine was not turning at all now. I stopped, then push the ignition button again and nothing engaged, dead silence. Any clues what happened? Thanks.

+1
    Bad ground
    Bad starter bendix or sheared flywheel key
    Dead starter relay

Most important question is: Do you have a maintenance history on your ski?

Thanks loonatic. I'm going to check the wiring this weekend. I'm not a mechanic but have tinkered with motorcycles and a boat and and can typically figure things out but find this problem really unusual. My father owned them before me and did all the maintenance so I'll check with him too. Thanks again for the tips.

+1
    Shorting the battery to the black electrical box will usually cause the black wire in the stator harness to fry. This may cause issues with proper starting as this wire feeds the ground to the electrical box. If it was a long dead short, the stator and even CDI may have fried. If it was a brief touch, perhaps just the wire died. The wire may have started to go, then you finished the job by trying to start it a couple of times. Often when a starter doesn't get enough current from the battery it will spin, but not fast enough to throw the bendix out and engage the flywheel. Open up the ebox, find your stator harness, and inspect it full length for burnt wires. You may need to cut the sheath that holds the wires together back to inspect. You can try a quick test by connecting a jumper ground from the ground terminal in the ebox direct to the battery. If the ski turns over like this, the stator ground is burnt somewhere. Find it and fix it.....

Just wanted to give an update and say thanks guys for your help. In the end, I took the e box apart and it looked beyond clean. Checked connections, put back together, reconnected the new battery and new plugs and it fired right up and runs like crazy. No idea what was really up but thrilled to take the kids out the afternoon. Now to tackle the 600 which I think has real issues and not ghost issues. Thanks again!

Thread Information