Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thrown from my 2011 VXS-Need help to prevent it from happening again

Yesterday while riding at WOT ( or close to WOT) I was bucked from my 2011 VXS. I'm pretty banged up and might have cracked a few ribs too. Candidly, I'm happy to be alive, standing, and walking albeit with a lean.

My ski is totally stock and has about 28 hours on it. The lake conditions were pretty calm with some small waves (inland lake in Northern WI). Prior to my experience I had been idling through a weeded area and may have picked up some weeds. After leaving the weeded area, I gave the throttle a couple of revs in forward, reverse and forward to clean out the weeds. I then opened her up and about 1500-2000 yards later I was flying through the air and water and landed about 25 yards from the ski. I didn't like the feel of the ski just prior to be being bucked and I believe I eased up on the throttle ( I don't believe I let up that much and maybe not at all prior to being launched but that is a little sketchy since it happened so close to the event). There have been a couple of other times at WOT were I didn't like the feel of the ski and slowed down without incident.

Here are my questions:
    1) Did I do anything wrong that may have caused the incident (i.e. forward and reverse thrusting to clear weeds prior)?
    2) What is the likely cause or other contributing factors and what can I do to make sure it NEVER happens again?

Thanks in advance for your help, and be careful out there!

Brute Force (I think I need to change my name, I didn't like the Brute Force I just experienced!)

Jim

+1
    Happened to me a few times. You need presure release valves (Massive ones). ASAP!!!

Hope you feel better soon, Julio...

+1
    I also advice you get a Riva Stainless Grate ASAP, Julio...

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    There is no need for relief valves on a stock machine or even a moderately modded VXs/r.......my thought on this situation is you may have had more debris in the grate/pump area that dislodged as you were running and sucked it through the pump....I have over 245 hrs on my VXs and have never felt any thing close to a buck, a slight bounce yes, BUCK no.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    There is no need for relief valves on a stock machine or even a moderately modded VXs/r.......my thought on this situation is you may have had more debris in the grate/pump area that dislodged as you were running and sucked it through the pump....I have over 245 hrs on my VXs and have never felt any thing close to a buck, a slight bounce yes, BUCK no.....
    agreed /\ /\ 130 hrs and never happened, another thing is reverse will not clear anything from the intake grate, if its got something in it, get off and clear it by hand

6. +1 by:

+1
    Again, mine did 70.1 from Factory and it did OVERSTUFFED/BUCK from Factory. no need to bring back past discussions. I do acknowledge there have to be similar skies to mine out there. I could not have been that lucky to have had the only one. Take the advice or leave it, makes no difference to me however I can relate to Brute Force on this issue.

Best of luck, Julio...

Doesn't the pump 'overstuff' every time you suddenly release the throttle while riding WOT? My niece does this constantly and has never been an issue. No buck, no bounce, just slows down and moves at idle speed. It's a '12 VXS. Now i am curious as to the cause of Jims' incident. my sympathies on your injuries ...

+1
    Happened to me too as well as another guy on that thread...it is becoming more than just a few isolated incidents it seems...although come to think of it I also had gone over weeds but I don't think the others did?http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...138148&page=50

Post #493

Thanks for the feedback guys and please keep it coming. While this issue may be rare it is a serious one. We need to understand what's causing this and what can be done to prevent it. I agree with DarkCanuck from a previous thread that someone is going to get killed or paralyzed one of these days. I'm 48 years old, 6'3, 215 LBS and in good shape. I flew off that thing like a rag doll when I eased up on the throttle and now face a slow recovery. I can't risk it happening again and the outcome being the same or worse.

I still don't know what to do next. I think I'm going to have to take it in for an inspection, but that will probably be a waste of money. If there's a high degree of confidence that an aftermarket grate would solve the problem I will consider that option or I may just sell it. I don't want to get rid of it, but I don't ever want to get bucked at 60+ Mph again.

+1
    I hear you my wife wanted me to sell but I don't want to do it...for me I had 42 hrs with no issues riding way harder than I was with my wife and even after it happened I was on riding hard and no problems...glad you are okay I never got it bad like you I actually was fine but my wife was worse but she had a bad back to start she is doing much better...if I ever have a passenger again it will be maximum 40 mph. I am still undecided about the grate I may wait until next year?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information