Sluggish SLT 780

I recently bought a 1997 SLT780 from a friend for a price I couldn't turn down. I took it out and I got around 9MPH and 3750 RPM. I read a bunch about the CDI going bad, the thermostat sender is bad and much more. I have ohm'd out the fuel sender as that was bad, ohm'd out the thermostat but that was in working order so we reconnected that. Finally I removed the gray wire in the CDI hoping to change something but that didn't work either. All the fuel lines are new Goodyear fuel lines after replacing the OEM gray lines. Today I took it out and it still only goes to 3750RPM but my speed is now 21.4 or 21.5 MPH. I have a new fuel pump on the way and that is the next thing to replace. Do any of you guys have other suggestions or run into similar problems and know the solution? Thank you

Check the prop wear ring and thru hull bearing…. Is there anything showing on your MFD?

Skooter

Nothing is showing to be wrong on the MFD, but I'll give that a look. Do I go from the engine compartment or from the jet intake to see/check those?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fish-n-ski View Post
    Nothing is showing to be wrong on the MFD, but I'll give that a look. Do I go from the engine compartment or from the jet intake to see/check those?

did you ever check compression? if your prop or wear ring was worn, that would in NO way cause your issue, if anything it would cause the prop to spin like crazy but you wouldnt go anywhere....unless something is blocking water from getting to the pump...havee you looked under the ski at all in the pump tunnel area to make sure no obstructions? also you should rebuild the carbs with Genuine Mikuni parts

+1
    Need to OHM test your stator as well.

The pump is clear of any obstruction and there is no visible damage to anything inside the final drive. I will check the compression and see what the levels of that are. If the stator is in good working condition should it ohm out to 0?

+1

Thank you!

The stator and all the other connections ohm'd out within the range in the manual. The fuel pump should be here tomorrow so I'm hoping that is it!

And with a new fuel pump the symptoms still are the same and the RPMs still only go to 3750 and goes about 21.4 MPH
    Last edited by fish-n-ski; 08-20-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Thread Information