Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Polaris virage 700 exhaust manifold leak question?

Hi
    Well had it out today to set the idle with a digital guauge of ebay.I was close,but I noticed I had a leak of water.A very small stream from the lower bolt from ex manifold to the mag cylinder.It would leak when I reached 3000 on up.
    My question is do I need to just get the two gaskets or do I need to get a whole top end kit?I am the second owner and has never been apart from the factory.
    I know that you have to align the cylinders with the manifold before torqueing them down.
    Would this cause performance problems and I would think I could finish the season with it sense it has been leaking for some time?

+1
    Two Gaskets for Manifold and one for the pipe on top were the manifold connects.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i coat the gaskets with ultra copper sealant as well

I got some ultra copper and will use it.
    By the way thanks for the idler srew.

Hey guys, I am glad I found this thread because I believe my Virage 700 is doing the same thing, all over again! Two years ago I had it out and was running all over the lake when I slowed to idle through a no wake zone. When I hit the throttle there was less power than while at idle! I had no idea the gasket had blown until I was able to limp in to the dock and take the seat off. Upon inspection, I saw that with the gate in neutral, if I hit the throttle water was coming in through the manifold and pouring into the bottom of the hull. Under idle no water leaked at all, only with the high pressure did it leak. So with a quick trip to the marina, 2 gaskets and 1/2 hour of labor later I was back on the water!

This time, I got a call from my brother who was moving the ski out of the way to do some dock jockeying and when he went to go for a spin on it he said "it was like it couldn't carry it's own weight". He also said the engine ran fine and idled great, but wouldn't move when hitting the throttle. The reason I bring this up is because, sight unseen from the way he described it, it was exactly how I would have described the first occurrence. If the gaskets did indeed fail again, what would make them go out 18 months after the first time I had them replaced? Also, without any real mechanical background, could I replace the gaskets myself or should I have the marina do it for me? I do not own a torque wrench, nor have I got any experience with replacing gaskets. Is it a pretty straight forward fix? Thanks in advance!

Well took it out this week and rode for 45 minutes.Went to sore and it snapped the two lower exhaust manifold bolts on mag cylinder heads right off!
    I am at a totally loss.Only thing I can think of is a vibration from the jet!

Banned User
    +1
    Was any other work done on the motor? The only way I could really see an issue if the cylinders were installed and not properly aligned with the exhaust manifold.

No motor work was done.I did leave out that this is the 4 time I have replaced the gaskets.This last time was over winter.I then checked the motor mount bolts and noticed two of them turned a bit before the torque wrenched popped.I then retightened with loctit.
    The only thing that may have happened when I first replaced them is another person that rode it did get weeds in the jet.When I got to him he was making it cavate bad.
    It seemed to work fine.It seemed to run fine the other day until I stopped to check it out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    ... The only way I could really see an issue if the cylinders were installed and not properly aligned with the exhaust manifold.
    Which domestic engine was revised to delete the exhaust gasket after it was discovered the gaskets were causing the cylinders to warp?

Fuzzy memory is saying it was the 1200 three cylinder, but it may have applied to the two cylinder as well.

Banned User
    +1
    Gaskets don't cause cylinder warp. Polaris went to the sealant instead of exhaust gaskets because they were being cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information