Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Exclamation YET Another "Skiworx" won't answer his phone Customer Thread

Guys - Fellow Kawasaki Enthusiasts - There's a Kawasaki Fan that has been asking me my advice via PM that has just spent 2500 dollars of his hard-earned money with Skiworx on a Level-1 Kit and had them install it as well. He is geographically situated in that region of MD.

His ski is a 2004 STX-r and I am certain it is a nice ski as he claims, well taken care of by its owner, and he wanted to "improve" his "enjoyment factor" by spending some money on his machine to add a few aftermarket goodies to it - hence the Skiworx mods.

Well, he gets his stuff back (I won't ask how loooooooooong that took), and the coupler hose that connects the stinger section of the exhaust pipe gets hot and blows a hole choking the engine hull with 2-stroke exhaust fumes. I sent him a link for the correct sized Intercooler Hose to use there and it fit and works well, yet now:
    ---------------------
    I changed the exhaust coupler with the one you recommended and it worked perfect. Ski ran perfect for five minutes and now the engine is shutting down and saying it's overheating on the display. Its limited power for 30 seconds and then fine again but then it goes back to overheating warning. I dont have the skill set or time to keep messing with it and steve dosent answer the phone. It's a 2004 stxr with 150 hours and i just paid steve 2400 dollars to install a level 1 kit and replace the pump bearings.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    -------------------
    So now fellow Kawasaki Enthusiasts - if there is someone up in MD that could help this guy, point this guy in the right direction - concerning a shop that may assist him without "bending him over" - I really think it would be the right thing to do. I offered to help him, yet he is quite a distance away from me geographically. I also stated that I know of a local shop here that would get to teh root cause of his issue - and could recommend such to him - yet he is not in my geographic region.

My personal thought is that a simple "bone-head" move was done - namely installing the stinger gasket incorrectly and not allowing coolant to pass through the rear section of the exhaust system. Namely this gasket here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005-2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	310648

It certainly sounds to me like his issue is something not so complicated.

I also thought that there could be another hose that is causing smoke inside the hull and causing it to "choke" itself out, or even the Temperature Sensor in the exhaust expansion chamber section of the pipe that does not have any "media" material around it (fluid/grease) and is causing it to temperature itself out?

Lastly, I am truly amazed that Skiworx is still in business. Can you say Customer Service or Support for YOUR Customers???

I recommend to this man to fix his ski, have fun with it for the rest of the season, and then wait till the Kawasaki 2014's come out in probably October, and for him to buy a left-over 2013 for a "song". He really wants a Kawasaki Ultra-300x.

Anybody up in MD - willing to offer this guy assistance, or make a recommendation to help a Fellow Kawasaki Enthusiast in his time of need?

+1
    I forgot to mention - if that Jet-Works Valve is not adjusted properly - that this could cause an issue as well.

This valve here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001-11.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	310649

Bypass that valve all together - by buying a piece of hose and running it from the Tee at the bottom to the pipe.

Take that out of the equation and test your ski again and see if this fixes your temp problem. My guess is that it just may resolve your issue (a 2 dollar hose).

That stoooopid Stinger Mod ain't worth a shit anyways.

Good Luck !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    I also thought that there could be another hose that is causing smoke inside the hull and causing it to "choke" itself out, or even the Temperature Sensor in the exhaust expansion chamber section of the pipe that does not have any "media" material around it (fluid/grease) and is causing it to temperature itself out?
    Unlike the Ultra 150's, the STX-R's have a plastic resonator in the middle of the exhaust hose going from the water-box to the tailpipe. #16181 on this diagram.http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html
    If the exhaust overheated enough to melt a hole in the silicone coupler, the overheating may have also distorted the plastic resonator and be leaking from around there.

If the resonator is distorted it can be replaced with a PVC coupling...I think a 3 inch 45 degree coupling is the size that works out to fit.

Like you mentioned the temp sensor needs an oil medium around it when installed into the exhaust. Transmission fluid, 30W, 40W...just about any oil will do it.
    It could be a defective temp sensor also.

Like in your second post, I too suspect the jet valve probably isn't opening as it should, or possibly not at all causing the silicone coupler to overheat to the point of leaking.
    Like you suggested, I too would bypass that valve until I got the problem figured out. He can bypass it with a brass hose barb...easily obtained at a home depot or lowes, etc. That way he knows that there is water flow to the exhaust.
    Last edited by TexasZ; 08-18-2013 at 07:32 AM.

+1
    Ditch the jet works valve, they fail all the time and melt the exhaust. The "stinger" mod is useless too, nets nothing. It claims to add hole shot. Tried it, did nothing , ditched that too.

The jetworks and stinger mods are the problem.

Get a used stock stinger part and the stock exhaust hose and you will have a far more reliable ski with no loss of performance.

The temp sensor is before the stinger, so it would not know the exhaust is melting due to a stuck jet works.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Ditch the jet works valve, they fail all the time and melt the exhaust. The "stinger" mod is useless too, nets nothing. It claims to add hole shot. Tried it, did nothing , ditched that too.

The jetworks and stinger mods are the problem.

Get a used stock stinger part and the stock exhaust hose and you will have a far more reliable ski with no loss of performance.
    He should still have the stock exhaust hose that he took off. If he wants to go back to the OEM exhaust stinger, I have a stock oem one I'll trade him out for his modded one.

The temp sensor is before the stinger, so it would not know the exhaust is melting due to a stuck jet works.
    True, but if the problem isn't back there and it is the sensor that is triggering the overheat warning, then he needs to look at that.

Just like you and Ed, I think it's the jet valve not opening properly or maybe not at all that is the likely problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZ View Post
    I think it's the jet valve not opening properly or maybe not at all that is the likely problem.
    James - Thanks for your input. I did not know there was another piece after the waterbox that was specific to the STX-r. If anyone would know - you certainly would

I agree guys - it is as simple as running a hose from the T that was installed in the water line to the barb at the stinger section of the pipe, simply bypassing that Stinger Mod - which don't do "Jack" anyways.

I sure would like to see this guy get to ride his ski a bit after spending 2500 beans on it.

Make sure the gasket on the stinger is installed correctly. I had an issue with a used stxr I purchased. The gasket was installed upside down and would put the ski into limp mode, exhaust ran very hot.. soon after it chucked a rod :/

+1
    For $2500 buks I would have made they ski fly....!!

I used the stinger mod in a few different forms and when used for what it is used for does what it is supposed to do. Keep the water box from filling up and adding a little quicker out of the box, I used it for racing and ran it high. If I wasnt racing I would forget it. There are other mods out there that help that are simple.

GEzzz $2500,,,,Start my own shop.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    The stinger mod did almost nothing with the stock carbs. you could feel a slight difference with 44's. BUT my stock ski was in very good condition, so all the changes put together only had a smallish improvement (mainly a bit extra on low and mid).

+1
    Sooooo, it sounds to me like this guys Stinger Gasket was installed "back-ass-wards"???

James - did you look at the Stinger Pipe that he sent to you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information