Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2k - GP1200-R / Piston seized - what are my options !?

Was running down the river, seemed like something got sucked up in the pump so I left off the throttle and it died. Did try to re-start and heard a little banging. So I left it be and towed it in.

Not sure what could have happened, almost looks like the ring snagged the PV as there is a little bit of damage on the PV itself or any ideas ?
    I did install the newer pv's as well as lever links before I rode it, when I first bought it.

Either way this is what was found. What are my cheapest options ?
    Not looking for just a crusier ski to idle around on, but I dont race either either. Just want it to last another season at least.

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130818_153230.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	310709 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130818_153422.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	310710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130818_153502.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	310711 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130818_163125.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	310713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130818_163041.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	310712

Banned User
    +1
    Ouch! Cheapest option is to sell ski and be done with it. Second would be fixing yourself with used parts and selling. Third would be fixing right way and try again

Inspect your crankshaft/bearings, pulse lines and carbs as preventive, but it seems the power valve droped, its pretty common failure.

Replace all your seals and gaskets, its a risk reusing any of them. And like he said buy used parts at the classifieds here is a good option for replated cylinders:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199898

+1
    No doubt on selling this thing, been a money pit since I bought it. That may be my first option. Id like to at least get it running first.

I don't know much about the pv engines, but what if I just bought a good used cylinder and say a new top end kit. Would I be good ?
    Or a cylinder and used piston ? ( the head Ive shown a pic of has a scuff on it as well )

I thought the new PVs stopped that from happening ? Carbs just rebuilt as well as rejetted.

+1
    Is that an aftermarket head? At minimum you'll need a new piston kit, you'll need to send your cylinder off to get replated, gaskets, wave eaters, new valve and possibly a new head unless you can find someone that can repair it. If you want to risk it, you could inspect the bottom of the case for debris and not have to split them. How many hours on the ski?

Buying a used cylinder and a new piston kit could work but depending on hours, you'll want a full top end

Banned User
    +1
    To do it right. Split cases, have crank checked out, new seals, new piston kit, replate jug, new base gasket, head gasket, pv, wave eaters, and new heads cleaned up. Everything to spec your right around 800-100 when said in done

+1
    I am still undecided on what I want to do, I will most likely just replace what is needed and sale it off. Its already over due for an entire rebuild at 250 hrs.
    I think the Riva head with a tad bit of clean up would still be ok. Other wise, I am looking at a piston, cylinder, base and top gasket, correct ? Of course bearings, rings etc. so that shouldnt be too much $

If I do decide to keep it and redo it all, is there any where to buy a good rebuilt engine ( NOT SBT ) ?
    Recommend anyone here to build it back, cost effectively to be rec ski ?

+1
    When rebuilding...

NEVER use the wave eater shaft couplers, use the OEM plastic couplers, i will start a new post about that, with pictures

+1
    Before tearing down these 2 strokes, always do a pressure check when removing the exhaust and before removing jugs so you know for sure if you need crank seals

+1
    All good info. Prob a good idea to pressure test as I dont intend on replacing anything more than the one cylinder piston gaskets etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information