Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cables going into engine of sl 750

I have a 94 sl 750 and am taking out the engine to have a mechanic look at it. I have all the parts out except the engine which is sitting on the hull where the seat would be. There are a bunch of different coloured wires going into the engine just under the starter. I can't get them out from the electrical box or the engine so can I cut them near the engine and re-attach them later so the engine will come out or can they not be cut???

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    DONT CUT THE WIRES

Take the motor out with the wires and the E-box attached. If you don't know how to do this, you need to do some research... http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/p650750780.pdf

I second not cutting any wires. You'll just be creating a lot of work for yourself.

If you don't have a wiring diagram, just make a note of where each wire attaches. Most of them go to the CDI and there are quick disconnect connectors in the electrical box for each wire. It's not difficult.

+1
    I usually cut the stator wires and buy weather pack connectors off of ebay much easier then removing the wires from the elect box every time,i cut them near the box about 6 inches away

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    [QUOTE=rileyboadway;2243398]I have a 94 sl 750 and am taking out the engine to have a mechanic look at it. I have all the parts out except the engine which is sitting on the hull where the seat would be. There are a bunch of different coloured wires going into the engine just under the starter. I can't get them out from the electrical box or the engine so can I cut them near the engine and re-attach them later so the engine will come out or can they not be cut???[/QUOTE

I agree one can do the weatherpack route and do it right. But he's saying he's thinking of cutting them down near the engine (stator end likely) and that's a mistake.

I agree one can do the weatherpack route and do it right. But he's saying he's thinking of cutting them down near the engine (stator end likely) and that's a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Ya I don't really know much about the wiring I'm just trying to get the motor out for the mechanic. Who knows it might not even be worth the money to fix but I have the manual for Polaris's from 1992-1998. So your saying it is OKAY to cut them near the e-box?

The thing is that (I already had that pdf by the way but thanks) the electrical box really needs some cleaning it has some corrosion (but I know it still works) and I don't know if I will be able to find where all the wires go after I unplug them. Also there are a bunch going into what I think is the fuse box? (little black box in the electrical box) and I don't know how to get them out of there either. I was hoping I could get the engine out first and then have a better look at the box. Any options? If not I'll just have to cut them and try to figure that out later...

+1
    all the wires are color coded in the box.....and the Blue wire, goes to the BLU spot on the board SIMPLE to wire it, DO NOT CUT YOUR STATOR WIRES IF YOU DO YOUR SKI WILL NOT BE DEPENDABLE

How do I get the wires out of the small box inside the electrical box??? I feel like an idiot but I can't find out how to open it and the wires don't pull out or anything. I can get them out of the panel in the e box but I need to get these ones out too!

+1
    there are alan bolts that hold the box together. before opening or doing anything with the box, remove the negative batt cable. if not allready done so. then there should be alan wrench bolts where the stator harness goes intro the top of the box, take that bolts out and wiggle the rubber around it will come loose the wires inside the box should just pull arpart they are on with spade connectors and billet connections

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information