Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Bought My first Ski, NEED HELP PLEASE!!

    Well, on Friday, I bought a 2000 xl1200.
    Great looking ski and very fun to drive!

    Took it out Saturday and it ran great!
    Took it out today and the oil low light came on.

    Here ensues my first question, what kind of oil do I use? I ride freshwater. I don't do full out a lot, but I tend to ride aggressively. ( I don't know if this affects the type of oil I should use.)

    The guy had the D-Plate already installed.
    It has 82 hrs on a rebuilt motor.

    Compression is (with throttle wide open and 2 plugs still in) is 113, 112, 96.
    Is this abnormal?
    The plugs are dark, which I guess means its running rich.
    Is it bad to run it like that?

    I plan to get the waveeater clips and an oil block off plate.
    Does anybody know the best place to buy these items?
    Also, is there a DIY on the block off plate install?


    Is there anything else I should do to maintain the ski?
    Some say fluid film the engine?

    The engine also sounds different from other skis I have driven, it is pretty deep and grumbly, is this normal?

    Lastly, is there anything to make this thing quieter?
    I know it sounds weird, but this thing is pretty loud.


    Im sorry for all the questions, but It is my first ski.

    I appreciate any and all help!!

    Tom
    Last edited by tejhummer; 08-18-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Punctuation


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by tejhummer View Post
    Well, on Friday, I bought a 2000 xl1200.
    Great looking ski and very fun to drive!

    Took it out Saturday and it ran great!
    Took it out today and the oil low light came on.

    Here ensues my first question, what kind of oil do I use? I ride freshwater. I don't do full out a lot, but I tend to ride aggressively. ( I don't know if this affects the type of oil I should use.)

    The guy had the D-Plate already installed.
    It has 82 hrs on a rebuilt motor.

    Compression is (with throttle wide open and 2 plugs still in) is 113, 112, 96.
    Is this abnormal?
    The plugs are dark, which I guess means its running rich.
    Is it bad to run it like that?

    I plan to get the waveeater clips and an oil block off plate.
    Does anybody know the best place to buy these items?
    Also, is there a DIY on the block off plate install?


    Is there anything else I should do to maintain the ski?
    Some say fluid film the engine?

    The engine also sounds different from other skis I have driven, it is pretty deep and grumbly, is this normal?

    Lastly, is there anything to make this thing quieter?
    I know it sounds weird, but this thing is pretty loud.


    Im sorry for all the questions, but It is my first ski.

    I appreciate any and all help!!

    Tom

    If the plugs are black, get some new ones before you go out next! Congrats on the new ski!
    Last edited by Bryan; 08-18-2013 at 10:09 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    783
    +1
    29
    You'll find many different opinions here regarding oil. I use Yamalube on skis I plan on keeping a while. Oil doesn't have to work for long in a stroke so keep that in mind, too.
    Compression in number 3 is low. I wouldn't ride it anymore until you get that figured out. Did you use a good gauge? What kind of top speed (gps) are you getting?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Miller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tejhummer View Post
    Well, on Friday, I bought a 2000 xl1200.
    Great looking ski and very fun to drive!

    Took it out Saturday and it ran great!
    Took it out today and the oil low light came on.

    Here ensues my first question, what kind of oil do I use? I ride freshwater. I don't do full out a lot, but I tend to ride aggressively. ( I don't know if this affects the type of oil I should use.)

    The guy had the D-Plate already installed.
    It has 82 hrs on a rebuilt motor.

    Compression is (with throttle wide open and 2 plugs still in) is 113, 112, 96.
    Is this abnormal?
    The plugs are dark, which I guess means its running rich.
    Is it bad to run it like that?

    I plan to get the waveeater clips and an oil block off plate.
    Does anybody know the best place to buy these items?
    Also, is there a DIY on the block off plate install?


    Is there anything else I should do to maintain the ski?
    Some say fluid film the engine?

    The engine also sounds different from other skis I have driven, it is pretty deep and grumbly, is this normal?

    Lastly, is there anything to make this thing quieter?
    I know it sounds weird, but this thing is pretty loud.


    Im sorry for all the questions, but It is my first ski.

    I appreciate any and all help!!

    Tom

    If the plugs are black, get some new ones before you go out next! Congrats on the new ski!
    Will do! and Thanks!!!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    You'll find many different opinions here regarding oil. I use Yamalube on skis I plan on keeping a while. Oil doesn't have to work for long in a stroke so keep that in mind, too.
    Compression in number 3 is low. I wouldn't ride it anymore until you get that figured out. Did you use a good gauge? What kind of top speed (gps) are you getting?


    On the speedo on the ski, it was around 50 when I backed off, but it felt like it had more. I don't know about GPS speed.

    I used a compression checker from harbor freight. ( I know, bad idea) but its the one I found in the garage.

    What all should I check in regards to the compression?

    Please don't ( but do if necessary) tell me I need a new top end. The engine in buried under the exhaust in this thing.

  6. #6
    #1

    Compression test is done with all plugs out.

    #2

    96 is low on compression...you'll have to watch for crank failure later due

    #3

    I always premix, premix, prevents any kind of low oil failure. if you are not going to premix, any two stroke oil is good. maxim or amsoil west marine makes a nice two stroke oil also

    $4

    It will be loud, three cylinder machine

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowcrap View Post
    #1

    Compression test is done with all plugs out.

    #2

    96 is low on compression...you'll have to watch for crank failure later due

    #3

    I always premix, premix, prevents any kind of low oil failure. if you are not going to premix, any two stroke oil is good. maxim or amsoil west marine makes a nice two stroke oil also

    $4

    It will be loud, three cylinder machine
    Ok, I will definitely retry the compression later today.
    What should I do to prevent crank failure? Go ahead with a top end rebuild?

    Could it just be a head seal?
    Will taking out the plugs increase compression?

    Thanks!!!

  8. #8
    Did #3 lose an oil line?


    Plugs out.... Plugs in.... Try it both ways.

    Pull the head. You need to check out why one cyl is more than 5% difference in compression. It could be nothing like a PV not moving right, minimal like worn rings or it could be a new topend... or it could be a bent rod

    Its probably not worn rings else all would be low. Since its only one - cross your fingers. On the bright-side, the season is almost over and you've got month to get the ski tip-top.

    Take pics and post them.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tejhummer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Miller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tejhummer View Post
    Well, on Friday, I bought a 2000 xl1200.
    Great looking ski and very fun to drive!

    Took it out Saturday and it ran great!
    Took it out today and the oil low light came on.

    Here ensues my first question, what kind of oil do I use? I ride freshwater. I don't do full out a lot, but I tend to ride aggressively. ( I don't know if this affects the type of oil I should use.)

    The guy had the D-Plate already installed.
    It has 82 hrs on a rebuilt motor.

    Compression is (with throttle wide open and 2 plugs still in) is 113, 112, 96.
    Is this abnormal?
    The plugs are dark, which I guess means its running rich.
    Is it bad to run it like that?

    I plan to get the waveeater clips and an oil block off plate.
    Does anybody know the best place to buy these items?
    Also, is there a DIY on the block off plate install?


    Is there anything else I should do to maintain the ski?
    Some say fluid film the engine?

    The engine also sounds different from other skis I have driven, it is pretty deep and grumbly, is this normal?

    Lastly, is there anything to make this thing quieter?
    I know it sounds weird, but this thing is pretty loud.


    Im sorry for all the questions, but It is my first ski.

    I appreciate any and all help!!

    Tom

    If the plugs are black, get some new ones before you go out next! Congrats on the new ski!
    Will do! and Thanks!!!


    You're welcome! You should notice a much better performance in your ski with the new plugs!

    I would change the plugs every few times you go out. I know that's what I was doing with my old 2 stroke. The 2 strokes just go thought those things fast!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroClient View Post
    Did #3 lose an oil line?


    Plugs out.... Plugs in.... Try it both ways.

    Pull the head. You need to check out why one cyl is more than 5% difference in compression. It could be nothing like a PV not moving right, minimal like worn rings or it could be a new topend... or it could be a bent rod

    Its probably not worn rings else all would be low. Since its only one - cross your fingers. On the bright-side, the season is almost over and you've got month to get the ski tip-top.

    Take pics and post them.


    I got the oil block off plate yesterday.
    I have used the search bar, but cannot find a DIY for the install.

    also, I need a service/repair manual. If anyone knows where to get one, please let me know.

    The local shop I got the block off plate from said to install the block off plate than run it until it gives out. Since it has 82 hrs. I don't know if I like this idea. I don't want to cause MAJOR engine failure which requires a full rebuild. Anybody have any ideas as to what to do?

    I don't feel comfortable taking off the head yet, just because the exhaust looks like it needs to come out first. Again, I feel that a service manual would be useful.


    Please give me what you think about running it "until" as the shop said, and about a diy on the install.

    thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Just bought my first ski!
    By Jamesm11 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM
  2. Bought my first Ski yesterday. Wave Venture 700
    By e46_330i in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM
  3. just bought my first ski today, 2001 gp1200r
    By thatdude596 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
  4. Water Leak in ski, need HELP please.....
    By TtrahRXPX in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM
  5. just bought my first ski
    By boostedpgt in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •