Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ultra 150 vs. Ultra 250

Hi all. Really enjoy the information that is shared on this forum. Was at a party yesterday and talking to a few guys about the purchase of my new Ultra 250s. Since these are the first PWCs I have owned I was asking some questions about the ride conditions on our lake. (Live in mid-MO on Lake of the Ozarks) During the summer the water can get very choppy to say the least. One guy was talking about his Ultra 150 that is stock and states is goes 85mph and also stated from what he has read the 150s will blow the 250s out of the water.
    Since I am a novice at this can anyone share your thoughts for me about the 150 vs 250.

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    By any chance was this fellow drinking a lot?

Ultra 150 on the Lake of the Ozarks?
    LOL
    that thing is a danger to all around it on a massively rough lake. It's small and short, so a big wave can effect the direction it is moving, so instead of going straight ahead it will shoot off in different directions with each cross wave. Stay about 15 feet away at least from both sides of his ski.

He will be lucky to get it over 40 MPH on that "Washing Machine" of a waterway.

The Ultra 250X will crush it like a bug, Buy the 250 and you will see him only at the start of the day, then at the end when he catches back up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Hi all. Really enjoy the information that is shared on this forum. Was at a party yesterday and talking to a few guys about the purchase of my new Ultra 250s. Since these are the first PWCs I have owned I was asking some questions about the ride conditions on our lake. (Live in mid-MO on Lake of the Ozarks) During the summer the water can get very choppy to say the least. One guy was talking about his Ultra 150 that is stock and states is goes 85mph and also stated from what he has read the 150s will blow the 250s out of the water.
    Since I am a novice at this can anyone share your thoughts for me about the 150 vs 250.
    wow 85 mph stock. He is pulling your leg of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi-Guy View Post
    By any chance was this fellow drinking a lot?

Ultra 150 on the Lake of the Ozarks?
    LOL
    that thing is a danger to all around it on a massively rough lake. It's small and short, so a big wave can effect the direction it is moving, so instead of going straight ahead it will shoot off in different directions with each cross wave. Stay about 15 feet away at least from both sides of his ski.

He will be lucky to get it over 40 MPH on that "Washing Machine" of a waterway.

The Ultra 250X will crush it like a bug, Buy the 250 and you will see him only at the start of the day, then at the end when he catches back up to you.
    Do you have an Ultra 150 or ever had one??? Because, others say the same thing, the nose hunts. But I have two, one of them since 2000 and the nose is very predictable im my opinion. This one also runs in the 75 mph range. I really like the boats but they are "light" in the water compared to the newer three seaters.....

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1

150 vs 250

There is no comparing these 2 skis.I have 2 2002 ultra 150's and I got an Ultra 250 @ 2 months ago, dont get me wrong I like the Ultra 150, for what it is.But to compare the 150 to the 250 is like comparing apples to oranges.If there is any kind of chop, you will be waiting for him to catch up to you all day. Stock a 150 will run @ 64 mph in a SLIGHT chop, any thing over a SLIGHT, it slows way down. the only way he would be doing 75 (real) mph would be to have a Tripple pipe set up in it, and then again youll be waiting on him all day as he has to tune it all the time.So no worries dude, you will smoke his ass,lol.

The main reason I bought the 250s was due to all the positive comments about the ride quality in choppy water. I know this is an inland waterway but this lake seems to really have a character of its own. If you have ever been on the water here you will know what I am talking about. I can't wait to get my lift installed and get the skis out and broken in. Then I am going to invite the 150 over for a little spin.
    Can't wait to see him eat his words!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    There is no comparing these 2 skis.I have 2 2002 ultra 150's and I got an Ultra 250 @ 2 months ago, dont get me wrong I like the Ultra 150, for what it is.But to compare the 150 to the 250 is like comparing apples to oranges.If there is any kind of chop, you will be waiting for him to catch up to you all day. Stock a 150 will run @ 64 mph in a SLIGHT chop, any thing over a SLIGHT, it slows way down. the only way he would be doing 75 (real) mph would be to have a Tripple pipe set up in it, and then again youll be waiting on him all day as he has to tune it all the time.So no worries dude, you will smoke his ass,lol.
    You would be a ton of fun to play with at the lake....

Im very happy it eats the chop up!!!! But what if you encounter anything else in the smooth water. By anything else I mean (stock RXP's), slightly modded Ultra 150's, slightly modded GPR's). Will you tell those guys in the smooth water that you dont like to race smooth water??? Then tell them to meet you in the chop!!! (Heavy chop).....

And, are you questioning my speeds on my Ultra???? And then that tuning thing again, where does that come from....????

I really hope this boat is what you asked for!!! Only time will tell and good luck with it. I hope it lasts a long time like the other Kawasaki products that Ive owned....But, its not my saviour.......yet.......time will tell.

Im not against it just being patient.

An ultra 150 in stock form is a pond ski.. smooth water only. I've watched many of my friends that own them go cartwheeling off them in 1' to 2' waves.

A 250X is 100 times better for Lake of the Ozarks. Riding an ultra 150 is like a kid getting on a red saucer and taking it down a mogul ski hill and holding on for dear life never knowing where he will go after each bump he hits.

How well the Ultra 150 handles in rough water also has something to do with the skill level of the operator. That said, it will never handle like a 900 lb, 132" Ultra 250.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    You would be a ton of fun to play with at the lake....

Im very happy it eats the chop up!!!! But what if you encounter anything else in the smooth water. By anything else I mean (stock RXP's), slightly modded Ultra 150's, slightly modded GPR's). Will you tell those guys in the smooth water that you dont like to race smooth water??? Then tell them to meet you in the chop!!! (Heavy chop).....

And, are you questioning my speeds on my Ultra???? And then that tuning thing again, where does that come from....????

I really hope this boat is what you asked for!!! Only time will tell and good luck with it. I hope it lasts a long time like the other Kawasaki products that Ive owned....But, its not my saviour.......yet.......time will tell.

Im not against it just being patient.
    Man Im real pleased in how you handled that. I thought for sure it was going to get ugly. Thanks for not getting it all ugly. Its hard for us owners to except that there is anything better out there.
    Once it gets in your blood it spreads like fire and your all ready for the TO RACE WORLD. AAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA.

Oh sorry. The devil made me do it.

but really it was cool how ya handled that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information