Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

can't figure this one out

i took my 750ss out the other day, and everything ran great. my son rode it and it rolled over. he got back on it and everything was fine, he rolled it again, and it started acting up. it would die at idle, and not really want to start but it still would. We took it back home, and then it would not start at all unless i put gas in the carb, then i would die. I emptied the fuel tank, cleaned the lines out, took the carb apart and cleaned it all out. and put it back on. I still have the same issue. if i put some gas in the carb it will start and if i hold the throttle it will stay running for a bit but then die.

I have a 94 750ss xi that i am waiting on some parts for so i took one of the carbs off of it and put it on the 750ss to see how that would work out. I put it on, hooked everything up to it, and hit the start button. it fired right up and ran like it was at full throttle. I hit the stop button, pulled the lanyard, pulled the plug wires, and it still keep going full throttle, finally i shut the fuel off and it finally died. so obviously something went wrong.

What else should i do with the old carb, and what else can i look at to get it running again?

Thanks guys

any ides?

+1
    First off - assuming that it wasn't a screwed up throttle cable or the like, your second issue with the "full throttle" revving is whats know as a "lean run-away" - it is dieseling because it is way too lean. While it seems like it would be the wrong thing to do, pull the trigger throttle wide-open, 99 times out of 100 this will stop the lean run-away by giving it way too much air to sustain running. Try opening (screwing out) the idle screw first on your xi carb at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. If that doesn't work, try this V V V V

For your original SS carb, to state the obvious, you aren't getting enough fuel flow. You mentioned that you cleaned out the carb - while I have no idea as to the degree that you did so, I can say that sometime it takes a deep cleaning with a complete disassembly and soaking in carb cleaner. This is especially important if/when it was salt water that got in to it (as in through the gas tank/water-contaminated fuel). I also like to boil the carb body in boiling water after the carb cleaner for about 10-15 minutes - I have found that it REALLY clears out the unwanted crap in the small orifices.
    Best of luck!
    W

+1
    Is your son a little retarded? I mean how do you roll a sit down, twice in one session.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialga View Post
    Is your son a little retarded? I mean how do you roll a sit down, twice in one session.
    You must be used to those big 4 strokes

+1
    Don't be a jerk! It's pretty easy to flip the older 'Skis. If you don't flip it once in a while, you're not riding it hard enough.

Perhaps you got some water in the fuel. The fuel caps are known to crack on those, and the gaskets aren't very good, either.

a bit uncalled for. he's 13 and never been on one before

ImpactSportsTV

thanks for the info, I completly disassembled it, but it was my first time cleaning a carb so i might not have done it right. Ill do it again and try soaking it and boiling it. i took all the fuel out of the tank and it seemed clean. The fuel pick up screens where completly gone from the lines so i replaced it with the ones from the other jet ski, i guess it i can't get it this time ill take it somewhere and have them re build it.

thanks again for the guys

8. +1 by:

+1
    Glad to help.
    BTW, the carb soak is really a last resort for stubborn carbs, If you didn't give it a good cleaning first time around, try completely disassembling it and squirting carb or brake cleaner from a can through every orifice you can find in the carb until everything flows freely, that could very well do it for you. Also, soaking in acidic carb cleaner takes the paint off of the carb body - which is why it is a last resort. Boiling on the other hand is always a good thing to do, it has been the key to stubborn clogs several times.
    Again, best of luck!
    W

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Don't be a jerk! It's pretty easy to flip the older 'Skis. If you don't flip it once in a while, you're not riding it hard enough.

Perhaps you got some water in the fuel. The fuel caps are known to crack on those, and the gaskets aren't very good, either.
    Yes completely uncalled for.... Especially when the guy is just asking for some help. Some may see some of your post as a "little retarded" but I'm sure when you were asking or help you didn't want that as a response.

i thought i cleaned it pretty good, but again it was my first carb clean so maybe i didn't. ill try again. hopefully this time it works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information