Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

PVC and catch cans...

Im adding my 4" intake and I see alot of ppl are just running a catch can with a breather. Is there a reason not to reconnect a none vented catch can back into the new 4" intake piping? My background is cars and we always add a none vented catch can and tie that pack into the intake as positive crankcase ventilation tends to make more power and keeps oily residue out of the engine bay when under boost.

+1
    You are using a catch can to trap oil and moisture from getting onto the inter-cooler fins. By not routing it back to the intake you alleviate that all together.

+1
    But you loose the benefit of positive crankcase ventilation. Unless someone points to a reason not to Im going to build mine with it tying back to the intake. My baffled catch cans work well at trapping the oil so I'm not concerned with that.

I won't chime in on the crankcase ventilation issue, but I'm curious to know what baffle you're using? I use a stainless Scotch Brite pad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotank View Post
    Im adding my 4" intake and I see alot of ppl are just running a catch can with a breather. Is there a reason not to reconnect a none vented catch can back into the new 4" intake piping? My background is cars and we always add a none vented catch can and tie that pack into the intake as positive crankcase ventilation tends to make more power and keeps oily residue out of the engine bay when under boost.
    The junk (excessive blow by and oil) goes in the catch can and stays out of your engine and Scer...This crap,can coat your Scer wheel and ICers internals...This is one of the main reasons we run the catch can,to catch this clear,varnishing looking fluid from going into and coating everything..You can run it back into your intake track as it will not hurt anything,only coat the parts listed above...It is recommended to leave this line in tacked especially if you are a salt water rider..IF you run a catch can you should drain it after every ride...Also The volume of blow-by is also sensitive to oil level if over filled.This can fill your catch can also...Even with a breather on it,i have yet to have my engine bay,or any other parts coated by this crap..i drain it after every ride and i am good to go...

+1
    +1 with what Sno said, you need a clean intercooler for it to perform well, any oil or crud on the aluminum fins cuts down on heat transfer,
    they are easy to build, and there are many post on the past subject,

Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    they are easy to build, and there are many post on the past subject,
    +1. They are REALLY easy to build. It's the first DIY upgrade I did to my SeaDoo, and I'm still a total n00b. Once you have the pieces, it literally takes 5 minutes to build it, and another 5 minutes to install (which I did with zip ties only, but I'm thinking about some sort of easy bracket).

I made a step-by-step tutorial on my blog with photos, based on the 2006 thread from "TheBandit" that's stickied in the 4-tec HowTo section. I use baffle material where he doesn't, and I use one less piece than his method by getting a T that already has a threaded opening in the side. I also recommend the stainless mesh breather filter, esp if you ride in salt water.

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/08...eather-system/

+1
    The whole point of the catch can is to catch the oil. If your not getting residue on anything in the engine bay coming out of the breather element then your not going to get anything pulled back into the intake piping. I dont want to go through adding all these mods just to leave a few HP on the table by not having a PCV setup. On my boosted cars its worth about 25hp obviously not going to be that much on a little 215hp setup but if its 1 hp thats enough for me.

I make mine out of aluminum with a perforated aluminum baffle and steel wool. I have also sandwiched stainless steel wool between two perforated aluminum plates. Ill make the only of the RXP with a piece of 3" aluminum with a baffle, about 5" tall.

+1
    The whole point of the catch can is to catch the oil. If your not getting residue on anything in the engine bay coming out of the breather element then your not going to get anything pulled back into the intake piping. I dont want to go through adding all these mods just to leave a few HP on the table by not having a PCV setup. On my boosted cars its worth about 25hp obviously not going to be that much on a little 215hp setup but if its 1 hp thats enough for me.

I make mine out of aluminum with a perforated aluminum baffle and steel wool. I have also sandwiched stainless steel wool between two perforated aluminum plates. Ill make the only of the RXP with a piece of 3" aluminum with a baffle, about 5" tall.
    there you go then...hook your setup up and give her hell!!!!!if you gain 1 HP then you will have 1 more HP than the guy running a breather setup...guess you answered your own question...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post

there you go then...hook your setup up and give her hell!!!!!if you gain 1 HP then you will have 1 more HP than the guy running a breather setup...guess you answered your own question...
    My question is more of why isn't everyone else? Has anyone tested it? For all the crap you can buy that only gains .5mph I would think someone would have tested this...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information