Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reed problem?

Reed problem?

Ok, so I cleaned my fuel system, replaced the fuel filter and plugs, disassembled and cleaned the air filter. Pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it out. Ski ran fantastically for a while, then quit. I had to paddle it to shore with my hands, and I was on the Tennessee river, which is kinda nasty. It would start fine, run fine, then when you'd take off so that the front of it came up (yes, I am a fat guy), it quit. Starts back every time.

I thought it must be a fuel issue, so I pulled the carb, which has a Mikuni round style fuel pump. Pulled the +/- 8 screws off of the cover of the fuel pump, and inside was a clear plastic sheet covering a rubbery sheet. The rubbery sheet had these little tongues (are they reeds?) that corresponded to matching tongues on the clear plastic sheet. This little setup corresponded to four holes in the aluminum portion of the fuel pump. One of the little rubbery tongues was curled up and sort of sucked into the hole it covered.

What the hell is this stuff? Is this my problem? I imagine it is, but can someone provide an explanation? I am but a lowly European car mechanic, brought up in a world of fuel injection and disc brakes- shiza like this mystifies me.

Thanks.

oh yeah, forgot to mention it's a 90 model wr500

HELLO Hello Hello Hello.....

+1
    Good lord man, you are in a mess... First, these are NOT your reeds. Your reeds are below the carbs in the intake of the engine. Sounds like you need whole carb kits. There are many how to threads that outline the procedures for cleaning and setting Mikuni carbs that are much more helpful than what i can provide. What you have removed sounds like the metering side of the carb, there is a screen/filter in this side of the carb to clean out. If this is clean and those little flaps mostly lay flat and could half seal up there is no problem with this side of the carb. When you turn it around and take out the other 4 screws you get the pump side of the carb... this where the business happens... you must do research and find out where to set the pop off pressure and make sure the diaphragm is pliable or new and the spring under the needle is correct as to provide the correct pop off pressure. Is the fuel selector/valve leaking? Have you checked for exhaust and water leaks? A good clean fuel system and a sealed up exhaust system is totally critical to these old beasts.

The side I removed is the side the fuel intake line attaches to from the petcock. One of the flappy deals is not sealing. This is a problem, no? Do they sell rebuilds, or should I just get an entirely new fuel pump? This one looks to have been heavily painted. Also, it's not really a mess, I've taken automatic transmissions apart, THOSE are a mess. This is just eight screws and two strange gaskety thingamajigs. But seriously thanks.

+1
    Rebuild kits are readily available. Jetsrus.com is a good spot to get them for example. Seadoosource has lots of mikuni information as well. It's definitely A problem... however it is likely its NOT your only problem...

Wow. I feel like an idiot after googling "jetski reeds". Shoulda done that before I made myself look like a fool. Anyway, I found what the part is actually called- a check valve. It is number 11 in the picture in this link:
    http://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/ca...iew_parts.html

A screwed up flap in this couldn't be the problem?

+1
    Well it definitely is A problem... I have learned with many years working with jet skis that there is usually more than one problem, and it's best to eliminate them all to avoid a situation where you are paddling or waiting for a tow. Meticulously check every aspect of the fuel system, engine, drive system and you will have good days on the water... that is my point.

On a side note, i have seen these carb components last for many many years, when they fail like that it's important to figure out why the failed. In your case i would bet that you introduced gasoline with a high ethanol content into your old fuel system made of components not designed to handle ethanol. Someone could have also poured some kind of "treatment" like injector cleaner, or seafoam into your fuel... all of these are bad ideas WHEN used incorrectly.

Aah. Probably fcuked it up when I cleaned the carb out with carb cleaner. Oh well. Better to rebuild or buy another?

+1
    definitely rebuild... buying carbs would cost more than the potential value of the ski...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information