Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Cape Cod/Newport Saltwater and Freshwater Riding

Hello, I recently moved to south shore Mass. I am looking for some good places to ride up here. There are not a lot of skis riding around up here. I have traveled to Cuttyhunk, Marthas vineyard, and a handful of harbors in buzzards bay so far. Does anyone have suggestions for places to ride out on the cape? I am having trouble finding smooth water up here. If we go out early its pretty nice out on the Bay, but after 1pm it becomes a washing machine. Cape Code launch Spots?Newport Launch Spots?Destination Rides?Suggestions are greatly appreciated. I don’t mind trailering the ski a little to get some good riding in. We are riding a Seadoo RXT260 and a handful of Yamaha Superjets.Thanks everyone.

+1
    drlguy2: Welcome to the 'hulk. I do not have anything specifically in your area, but you may want to check out my site for some trails in the NE/Atlantic coast: http://pwctrailfinder.com/ At the link, on the left side, click on "Find a Ride", "I Agree", then basically pick a state. Nothing to buy or sign-up for - just free ride info. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    drlguy2: Welcome to the 'hulk. I do not have anything specifically in your area, but you may want to check out my site for some trails in the NE/Atlantic coast: http://pwctrailfinder.com/ At the link, on the left side, click on "Find a Ride", "I Agree", then basically pick a state. Nothing to buy or sign-up for - just free ride info. Good luck.
    Hey I checked out that site. Its a great resources. I didnt see anything for Mass. but I have mapped out a few nice long trips. I will submit the info I have so maybe others can use it. Thanks for the info.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks - I was pretty sure I didn't yet have anything in your backyard, but check back often - I'm adding beta every week. I've currently got about 350 miles of separate trails waiting in the wings.

And it'd be great to get your trails added. Feel free to submit your info to [email protected]

Where in MA are you? I live in Lakeville, and there are plenty of places to ride. If you want flat water, go to Long Pond in Freetown/Lakeville or the Slocum River in Dartmouth. For the ocean, you can launch out of the head of Westport or Gooseberry and head to Cuttyhunk. You can also launch out of Fairhaven or Mattapoisett and ride out to Woods Hole.

We usually ride out of Gooseberry (free and not crowded), but it is a sand ramp so you had better have a 4X4 or a buddy who can tow you out if you get stuck. Right around the corner from Gooseberry is a nice wave area and you can cruise Horseneck Beach, as well. We will be out there Thursday and Friday for some wave jumping.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Where in MA are you? I live in Lakeville, and there are plenty of places to ride. If you want flat water, go to Long Pond in Freetown/Lakeville or the Slocum River in Dartmouth. For the ocean, you can launch out of the head of Westport or Gooseberry and head to Cuttyhunk. You can also launch out of Fairhaven or Mattapoisett and ride out to Woods Hole.We usually ride out of Gooseberry (free and not crowded), but it is a sand ramp so you had better have a 4X4 or a buddy who can tow you out if you get stuck. Right around the corner from Gooseberry is a nice wave area and you can cruise Horseneck Beach, as well. We will be out there Thursday and Friday for some wave jumping.Eric
    THANKS...I am located in Mattapoisett. There isn't a huge ski community around the area, or at least I haven’t ran into anyone yet... Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to Long Pond. Great spot. I am interested in checking some of these other areas both flat and surf. A group of us will be riding this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Hopefully we see you out there. Were thinking of heading out to ride somewhere on the Cape on Friday. Any suggestions for a launch and chill spot?Where do you launch on the Slocum River? Is there a place to chill out, and pull the skis up on the shore? Same for Gooseberry...This is a huge help! Thanks Again

Yeah, I live 3 minutes from the ramp at Long Pond. Pretty boring to me, but it's good for testing. Were are you riding Thursday and Friday? We will be at Gooseberry around noon if you'd like to meet up.

I stay away from the Cape - too crowded and the environmental cops target PWCs.

There are 4 "launch and chill" sites that I know about - 1) Gooseberry - it is not a designated beach, so you can bring the skis right up to the shore. Just make sure you idle out for 300 feet, as the enviro cops are there hourly. 2) West Island - you can get there easily from Mattapoisett. There are 2 coves on the Eastern side of the island where you can go up to the beach. 3) Party Island - not sure if that is the official name, but that is what everybody calls it. You head to Woods Hole and it is just north of the Elizabethan chain and just West of Woods Hole. You can go right up to the beach, but it is usually crowded with people on the weekends. 4) Fogland in RI - it is expensive, but they have picnic benches and grilles set up and the water in the estuary is very flat.

To get to the Slocum river, take 195W to the Faunce Corner exit (the second exit just past the overpass). You will go through 4 sets of lights and then bear left and continue straight until you hit a stop sign. Take a right, and you will go by Davoll's on the left and then down a short, steep hill. There is a small park on the left - that is where the ramp is. The river goes all the way out to the ocean just West of Gooseberry. Beware low tide, as you will have to go around the left side of the cove at the end. The bonus is no flushing when you are done.

If you would like to ride together, let me know - [email protected]

Eric

Thanks Eric.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Great detail. I will go scouting launch spots today. Hopefully this will help others as well. Can you get gas at West Island? Gas stops are always a big deal for the standups. I will hit you up if we are going to be in Gooseberry. Let me know if you think of any other areas...

Thanks,

Buoy Louie

There is gas at the marina on the West side of West Island, on the mainland. I have an RXP-X and RXT, so I never worry about gas stops. Tough to bring a lunch with you to West Island or Party Island on a stand-up, so I highly recommend Gooseberry as you can set up on the beach with lunch and gas and then just ride all day.

Eric

Anyone know how Long Pond is compared to South Watuppa? Watuppa is ok, but sometimes overrun by fishing tournaments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information