Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Has anyone installed a battery switch on their Seadoo?

I was on the Odyssey site and read the following and was wondering if anyone has installed a battery switch and how you mounted it

SEA-DOO® PERSONAL WATERCRAFT INSTALLATIONS

Sea-Doo® personal watercrafts tend to transfer an electrical load to the battery while in storage. Be confident that your ODYSSEY® battery can handle it. However, if not properly maintained, you may not get the top performance from your ODYSSEY battery. Read on to ensure your ODYSSEY battery is at its best at all times.

Issue – This brand of watercraft experiences an electrical load on the battery during storage, caused by a control module monitoring the lanyard socket. If the lanyard is left installed the electrical drain is 18 ma after 10 minutes of shutting down the engine. If the lanyard is removed, the electrical drain is 7 ma. These electrical loads are continuous and can accumulate to be significant over time. At 18 milli amps, the battery will lose 1 amp/hour of capacity in 55.5 hours or 10 amp/hours (Ah) in 23 days. On a PC 625, 10 Ah is 59% of battery capacity.

Solution – For Sea-Doo watercraft always disconnect the lanyard from its socket when not riding the watercraft. Install a waterproof disconnect switch in the negative battery cable, so the battery can be disconnected after riding. Use switch P/N 32965 from Overton’s Marine Catalog or use the 12V, 6A Ultimizer charger suggested above.

Check your ODYSSEY battery voltage periodically for full charge, which is 12.84V. Recharge whenever below 12.65V.

Banned User
    +1
    Why not just use a maintainer on the battery when not using the ski?

+1
    I like the idea of a switch. I've been thinking about installing switches since last summer. Right now, I'm just unbolting the negative cable from the battery when I'm done playing with my skis.

I know that a lot of people successfully use battery tenders but I know some people have cooked their batteries with them as well. I'm not willing to take that risk by leaving a tender hooked up for long periods of time. I leave mine on for short periods (a day or two) just to top my batteries off before an outing with the skis.

Another thing for me, my skis sit outside under individual OEM ski covers. I'd have to leave an extension cord out all the time and rain could be an issue. The covers aren't entirely waterproof. Just my opinion and issues that I have to deal with.

i had a switch on my old gtx. it works just as it should but even in storage with the power off it should be on a tender on occasion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
    i had a switch on my old gtx. it works just as it should but even in storage with the power off it should be on a tender on occasion.
    I couldn't agree more !

+1
    Unfortunately the ski is kept at my weekend place over 100 miles away and I'm not comfortable leaving it on a maintainer since its out in the open (no carport or garage)

That makes sense but the battery is small and easy to get out. I would pull it and take it with you.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    tender with a 24 hour timer (minimum interval per day which is usually 15 min)

I've had fair luck with waterproof bilge pump switches mounted in various places.

You do not have to cut the main battery cable..just find the main power lead and put your switch inline with that

+1
    Has anyone used a solar charger or wind turbine generator as a float charger and gotten good results? I can't risk leaving power connected to a float charger for weeks or even months at a time..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    simple solution

24 hour timer set for minimum time per day.

the better ones can go as low as 15 minutes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information