1996 SLTX weak spark after adding small battery ground

So for the longest time I couldnt figure out what was wrong with the 96 SLTX but today I decided what the hell why not add the small ground from the E-box to the battery and now instead of no spark, I'm getting a weak intermittent spark on 2 cylinders and a somewhat consistent faint blue spark on the other. So what could be wrong and how do i fix it? Still hasnt started but I actually got a spark this time so its renewed hope for this ski!

The battery is in great shape, trickle charged to 100% with an ETX16L AGM style battery putting out 11.5 volts under draw.

+1
    Old ignition uses E box to battery ground, updated ignition does not. Matter of fact it's recommended to be removed on update ignition to avoid premature stator failure.

Is your ignition updated or old?
    What was the problem before adding the ground?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you looked inside the flywheel cover yet? I am suspecting corrosion or water is affecting the stator grounding or the stator itself has gone bad.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    bad stator ground.

Are we talking about the stator ground at the stator plat itself where it is mounted? Because the stator wire ground to the box seems in great condition and this is an updated style ignition kit, prior to adding the small ground wire out to the battery i was not getting any spark at all and now its weak. So I should re-do the stator installation and check all grounds?

replacing/ removing that stator is such a PITA though, is it possible to remove the engine with just a couple guys to lift it out?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmi291 View Post
    replacing/ removing that stator is such a PITA though, is it possible to remove the engine with just a couple guys to lift it out?
    It is possible for the engine to come out with just one person. A small chain hoist helps, but even by hand it can be lifted out. The key if lifting by hand is to remove as much of the bolted on stuff as possible to reduce the engine weight and bulk.

With the chain hoist it is easier to slowly lift the engine and stickhandle it around to clear the hull opening.

Banned User
    +1
    Every engine I have ever pulled came out with just me and muscle power. The thing that I have found that makes it a lot easier is to remove the drive coupler before dropping it in. That extra 3 or 4 inches in length coming off the motor makes a big difference. Removing either the intake or exhaust manifold makes it a lot easier to get in or our as well, although they do go in or out with both manifolds installed.

Thread Information