'96 Wave Venture 1100 premix

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a used 96 wave venture, and am a bit concerned about the oil system. Had the engine blow on my old one (presumably due to oil system failure), and so wanted to premix on this one from day one. I bought a block-off plate for the oil pump, but it looks to be somewhat of a project to remove the pump in order to install (please correct me if I'm wrong). A friend of mine suggested that I try adding the same gas to oil mixture to the oil tank, the thinking being that whether or not the oil system were to fail, the engine would get the same mixture of gas to oil.

I would like to get the ski on the water by Wed (friends are coming to visit), so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In order to switch to pre-mix, you will need to:
    1) remove pump & install block plate. Not really too bad of a project - 2 bolts on the front of the flywheel cover
    2) Remove oil lines from carbs and cap the nipples on the carbs
    3) Remove oil pickup assembly from oil tank and ty-wrap the sensor magnets in the upmost position. Replace oil pickup assembly
    4) Pre-mix fuel at desired ration (typ 40:1) and have fun

If ya just wanna go have fun on wed, I would just carefully check all the oil lines - especially where they connect at the carbs. The pump is pretty robust and most issues aris from the lines themselves.

Oh yeah - do not add gas + oil mix to the oil tank!!! Maybe your friend meant add pre-mix to the gas tank and keep injection?

Ok, thanks a lot for your advice. Yeah, when my friend first told me about the gas + oil mix in the oil tank I thought he was crazy (well after all he's never owned his own jet ski, so enough said Now I'm assuming adding pre-mix to the gas tank and keeping injection isn't such a great idea either, as it would run way too rich?

One more question - what oil is recommended for this engine? I was thinking of getting a synthetic blend from Walmart (Pennzoil marine xlf).

I am rather new to this whole 2-stroke pwc world but do know that the whole 'what oil' question stirs up all kinds of opinions.
    I personally run Quicksilver only b/c I bought a yamaha superjet with a 701cc motor. The guy I bought it from was pretty experienced with motor rebuilding etc. and that is what he recommended. So far so good. 3 summers of fun - no issues.

It may be a good idea to stick with whatever oil the previous owner used...

Again, If the ski runs good then I would just triple check the oil plumbing lines and then plan on switching to pre-mix during the off-season. Many people run the injection but re-plumb the lines with new tubing and metal clamps etc.

[QUOTE=rh2078;2245393]Ok, thanks a lot for your advice. Yeah, when my friend first told me about the gas + oil mix in the oil tank I thought he was crazy (well after all he's never owned his own jet ski, so enough said Now I'm assuming adding pre-mix to the gas tank and keeping injection isn't such a great idea either, as it would run way too rich?

One more question - what oil is recommended for this engine? I was thinking of getting a synthetic blend from Walmart (Pennzoil marine xlf).[/Q

More like it will lock up your oil injection pump as the 2 stroke oil lubricates the injection pump as well as the engine.

Thread Information