Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Booner76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stirling ,Ont.
    Posts
    222
    +1
    5

    Question Rock through impeller

    Long story short...Had a rock go through my impeller and lodge in exhaust vains(happened at low rpm..just off idle) not much "damage" to rock..LOL ..was able to pry it out and then fish it out with a coat hanger. Checked the intake side...small "ding" on one of the impeller blades (wear rings seams OK..original) NOTE ..going to replace ring in off season(original). Noticed I am a bit down on top end..and am bouncing a bit off limiter out of the hole..(7,600 rpm) Very slight vibration at top end.. Question.....possible bend blade on impeller?? Better to replace..or have impeller repaired (and impeller blades reset?) Cheers


  2. #2
    wotxxxsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,928
    +1
    472
    That does sound impeller related.
    Either replace it or have it reworked.
    Change the wear ring at the same time.

    Damn rocks...

  3. #3
    Repair it for $80-100. Done like new

    Www.impros.com

    edit: OEM plastic rings are garbage. Collect holes and gouges too easily. Go stainless. I just bought the Solas SS from Impros for $100. Very nice piece....just as nice as the $200 SS Riva. So for $200 your impeller is like new and you'll have SS ring. Not bad

  4. #4
    TheGunMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    454
    +1
    41
    What are pros and cons of having SS RING?

  5. #5
    Damn you got lucky. I had a rock get sucked up and caused this.


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    What are pros and cons of having SS RING?
    SS
    The pros: lasts forever and never gets holes and chunks taken out of it. Worst you'll see is some scratching. My first one has been great for about 260-280hrs. Keeps its tight clearance even after some damage. If you don't want damage to the impeller, the key isn't to buy OEM wear rings....instead, the key is to just not suck shit up. But at least with SS, you'll only have to repair your impeller, not repair your impeller PLUS replace the wear ring.

    Cons: can't think of any

    OEM ring: always loosing chunks and/or accumulates deep scars - loosing that tight clearance.

  7. #7
    Booner76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stirling ,Ont.
    Posts
    222
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    What are pros and cons of having SS RING?
    SS
    The pros: lasts forever and never gets holes and chunks taken out of it. Worst you'll see is some scratching. My first one has been great for about 260-280hrs. Keeps its tight clearance even after some damage. If you don't want damage to the impeller, the key isn't to buy OEM wear rings....instead, the key is to just not suck shit up. But at least with SS, you'll only have to repair your impeller, not repair your impeller PLUS replace the wear ring.

    Cons: can't think of any

    OEM ring: always loosing chunks and/or accumulates deep scars - loosing that tight clearance.
    Prop...Will remove at end of season...... See what I got...(first time I have ever sucked up anything besides a rock! ) LOL(can't believe a rock that size made it through to the exhaust fins.!)

    Wear Ring...... Been thinking of stainless....But....as have heard and being an Ex Boat owner... Aluminum prop....hit rock.... prop gets dusted...... Stainless Prop... it don't bend....soooo the rest of the lower end drive train takes a s**t kicking!

    So with the OEM plastic ring.....it takes it .......not the rest of the inards.

    Just my logic about it....

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Booner76 View Post
    Wear Ring...... Been thinking of stainless....But....as have heard and being an Ex Boat owner... Aluminum prop....hit rock.... prop gets dusted...... Stainless Prop... it don't bend....soooo the rest of the lower end drive train takes a s**t kicking!

    So with the OEM plastic ring.....it takes it .......not the rest of the inards.

    Just my logic about it....

    Cheers
    As far as a jetski goes, if you're in a position to risk sucking a rock or two, you're probably driving close, or at idle speed. That said, if you suck large rocks at idle speed, they're likely gonna jam the pump and stall the motor, not destroy the drivetrain elsewhere. And, SS impellers will bend

    I ride in the desert. I've sucked rocks twice in 300hrs (with and without a SS ring). To this day, I just don't see enough risk/reason to NOT buy SS rings

  9. #9
    Booner76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stirling ,Ont.
    Posts
    222
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Booner76 View Post
    Wear Ring...... Been thinking of stainless....But....as have heard and being an Ex Boat owner... Aluminum prop....hit rock.... prop gets dusted...... Stainless Prop... it don't bend....soooo the rest of the lower end drive train takes a s**t kicking!

    So with the OEM plastic ring.....it takes it .......not the rest of the inards.

    Just my logic about it....

    Cheers
    As far as a jetski goes, if you're in a position to risk sucking a rock or two, you're probably driving close, or at idle speed. That said, if you suck large rocks at idle speed, they're likely gonna jam the pump and stall the motor, not destroy the drivetrain elsewhere. And, SS impellers will bend

    I ride in the desert. I've sucked rocks twice in 300hrs (with and without a SS ring). To this day, I just don't see enough risk/reason to NOT buy SS rings
    The rest of the story... I was out looking for some lost teens in a canoe and it was getting dark..Mother came up to me and was quite frantic..So I hope on my ride and headed out...found them...came back to the beach to let the mother know.... (was think of finding the mother )..did not pull the lanyard until I touched the shore.. heard the rock go up into the pump.(sick feeling) ...Oh well.....ONLY time I have ever done that!! Last time too! LOL

    Ride in the desert......Hmmmmm... that sand must be tough on the pump!! LOL (jk)

    Thanks for the info..... Me thinks I will lean towards the SS ring..

    Cheers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 06:57 AM
  2. Rock in impeller now what parts..
    By ashnic in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 08:11 AM
  3. Ate a bunch of sand and rocks! Need impeller/wear ring info
    By housegsx in forum Sea Doo How To & FAQs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 11:20 PM
  4. Rock jammed impeller - what to do next?
    By aokaysparky in forum Sea Doo Spark
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 09:19 PM
  5. 2004 RXP Rocks!!!....in impeller
    By Hypersonic in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •