Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Jet pump gear oil instead of grease.

Coming from the two stroke camp I'm used to changing the jet pump oil every year and never had any failures or problems with the oil bath set up. Well I did have an old GSI that the cone fell off and I found out that a water lubricated pump does not work so well, if the cone fell off on one of the greased pumps I'm sure the result would be the same. Some of you guys run gear oil instead of grease in the 4Tec pumps are there any negatives to this instead of the grease that's called for in the manual ? Also how often should the newer pumps be serviced ? Manual says 100hrs or two years is this realistic ?

+1
    i switched to oil in my pump. I've only put 25hrs on since however I pulled just o to check all was ok and it looked great. I felt no difference in ease of turning by hand (not scientific i know..)

I just run a nice marine grade synthetic. Think the main issue will be to check the play and make sure that you are within spec. That will likely be the main factor going forward.

IMHO - the oil is better because its lubricating all the time. when I serviced my pump the grease was all slung tot he back of the cone. I don't think thats good.

All said I have nothing scientific other than to say after 25 hrs its still fine and no issues. shaft play was the same as when I installed.

Good luck.

3. +1 by:

rxp steve
    +1
    I've run gear oil (royal purple 75/140) in both my ski's for over 150hrs. On my RXP my seals went out at 230 hrs and I didn't catch it in time and had to rebuild my pump. It was expensive. There are other ways of rebuilding the pump cheaper, but I bought the bearing tools and the vacum pump and cone. The vacum pump and cone take all the guess work out of it as far as the sealing of the pump. Every time I tweak my prop or pull the pump I use the vacum pump and cone to check the seals. (10 psi for 5 minutes). Imo if you keep the pump sealed up it would last indefinitely (almost bullet proof).

+1
    I went with BOTH. I a run a 50:50 blend of gear oil and grease.
    -by "blend" I mean add both in a blender and mix until a very runny peanut butter consistency.
    -make a big batch and store air-tight (a water bottle work well)

Make sure it's the LAST thing in that blender !!

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=AGMTB-EA
    http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=GWR3P-EA

+1
    I run a full syn 75w/90. Never had an issue!

For this pump bearing, does it matter if the gear oil has limited slip additive or not??
    I have Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil and it has LS additive.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxp steve View Post
    I've run gear oil (royal purple 75/140) in both my ski's for over 150hrs. On my RXP my seals went out at 230 hrs and I didn't catch it in time and had to rebuild my pump. It was expensive. There are other ways of rebuilding the pump cheaper, but I bought the bearing tools and the vacum pump and cone. The vacum pump and cone take all the guess work out of it as far as the sealing of the pump. Every time I tweak my prop or pull the pump I use the vacum pump and cone to check the seals. (10 psi for 5 minutes). Imo if you keep the pump sealed up it would last indefinitely (almost bullet proof).
    right, chck,right,right,right.

good advice all around.

I thought ( it's early yanno) it was 6psi?

I use a mix of factory grease and gear oil when I build a pump. Soak the bearing in the oil..then pack it good. and add 2oz during assembly. Enough gear oil to maybe show a leak. I leave it on the pressure test for 30 minutes

+1
    I like the idea of gear oil better than grease so I think I'll give it a try when the pumps get serviced over the winter.

Is a dealer the only place to get the cone used for pressure testing ? I have a small Mikuni pump I used to pressure test the older oil bath models, 10 psi for 10 minutes always worked for me.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I bought a cone from WSM..now seadoo went and changed the cone layout for the later models, so I ended up buying a spare one and drilling and tapping the a pressure fitting in there myself

rxp steve
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I like the idea of gear oil better than grease so I think I'll give it a try when the pumps get serviced over the winter.

Is a dealer the only place to get the cone used for pressure testing ? I have a small Mikuni pump I used to pressure test the older oil bath models, 10 psi for 10 minutes always worked for me.
    I just ordered mine from Riva, Pressure Cone part#529035843 $16.89. The 10 psi for 5 min, was in the shop manual

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information