2000 genesis 1200 carb motor

I just bough this ski last week from a friend of mine. Apparently he was riding it a month or so ago and the bilge pump stopped working and the motor got water into it. I have gotten all the water out of the motor and replaced the spark plugs. Replaced fuse for bilge pump and fuse for the gauges. Both are now working. However I have no spark I have ohmed out the coil and it appears to be ok all are around .6. Is it possible the stator could've gotten wet and or shorted out? I am an ASE master technician so I understand how to do most tests but I am not really familiar with watercraft. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. I also checked battery voltage while starting at the battery and it is 11 volts or higher. I have read that it must be above 10.5 to have spark. Oh also I have 4 volts coming from cdi to coil on the black/white wire. I have read it should be much higher than this. New here so thanks for any help you guys can give

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

How long did the engine sit with water inside? Fresh water or salt water?

The bilge pump only matters when you have water in the hull. Lots of water. Normally there is never enough water inside the hull for the bilge pump to do anything. You need to find out why there was water inside the hull, and also fix that.

If there is water inside the flywheel housing then it needs to be opened up and dealt with. If there is rust or corrosion inside the housing or on the stator, parts may need replacing.

See my signature links for other common maintenance items.

Fresh water and it didn't sit it just cut off going down the lake on him then he looked and saw that the water was in the hull and about half way up the engine. He said it just stalled so they towed it back drained water from hull and pulled plugs and cranked over to remove any water in cylinders and sprayed wd 40 in cylinders. I replaced the two fuses I found blown for the bilge pump and for the guage assy. and replaced plugs but still no spark. So you are saying remove the flywheel cover and see if there is water inside? I removed the plug at the top but I cant see anything inside at all and obviously I would much rather this be a stator issue than a CDI issue but I just need to know for sure so I can fix it. Thanks again. I am about to attempt running the stator test and see how that looks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bjkir22 View Post
    Fresh water and it didn't sit it just cut off going down the lake on him then he looked and saw that the water was in the hull and about half way up the engine. He said it just stalled so they towed it back drained water from hull and pulled plugs and cranked over to remove any water in cylinders and sprayed wd 40 in cylinders. I replaced the two fuses I found blown for the bilge pump and for the guage assy. and replaced plugs but still no spark. So you are saying remove the flywheel cover and see if there is water inside? I removed the plug at the top but I cant see anything inside at all and obviously I would much rather this be a stator issue than a CDI issue but I just need to know for sure so I can fix it. Thanks again. I am about to attempt running the stator test and see how that looks
    If enough liquid water went into the air intakes while it was running the engine could have hydro-locked, since water does not compress.

If that happened you could have one or more cracked pistons or bent connecting rods. Only way to really tell is to open up the engine and have a look. Compression can still be good with a cracked piston, if it has not yet broken apart completely.

FYI, when being towed that can ALSO cause water to go into the engine, unless the water feed hose is clamped flat before the towing.

I understand that. Compression seems ok though I am really thinking the problem is I have no spark at all I have an inline spark tester and it is not firing at all. I just did stator test as outlined on this site results are as followed.

Black to engine ground should be less than 1 ohm actual 1.0 to 1.2 ohms
    black to purple should be 5.5 ohms actual 6.3 ohms
    yellow to purple should be 0.75 ohms actual 30 Mega ohms
    yellow to engine block should be open and actual is 10 mega ohms
    red purple to engine block should be open actual 6 mega ohms.

I am thinking I have a short or something in the stator or water in the stator housing maybe I am wrong that's why I am asking you guys And if im reading it correctly unless the stator is supplying the right amount of voltage to the cdi the cdi and or coils will not fire is that correct? The electrical box and or cdi and coil did not get wet at all

also just hooked up the 9 volt battery to the brown and grey stator wires and measured resistance on the blue green and red whire results are supposed to be under 25 ohms when the magneto is lined up with sensor and open when its not on green wire it never went under 26 mega ohms and on blue and red whires it was around 9.6 mega ohms constantly did not go to open at all. I am pretty sure it is a faulty stator or a water short in stator. Does this sound correct to you guys?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bjkir22 View Post
    I understand that. Compression seems ok though I am really thinking the problem is I have no spark at all I have an inline spark tester and it is not firing at all. I just did stator test as outlined on this site results are as followed.

Black to engine ground should be less than 1 ohm actual 1.0 to 1.2 ohms
    black to purple should be 5.5 ohms actual 6.3 ohms
    yellow to purple should be 0.75 ohms actual 30 Mega ohms
    yellow to engine block should be open and actual is 10 mega ohms
    red purple to engine block should be open actual 6 mega ohms.

I am thinking I have a short or something in the stator or water in the stator housing maybe I am wrong that's why I am asking you guys And if im reading it correctly unless the stator is supplying the right amount of voltage to the cdi the cdi and or coils will not fire is that correct? The electrical box and or cdi and coil did not get wet at all
    That should be Red wire with Purple stripe to Yellow, not Purple to Yellow

If it was me I would be opening up the front of the motor to see what presents itself.

Thread Information