Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris 2002 Virage not charging battery

Hi PWC pros, I've just purchased my 1st PWC and I'm having a blast. Water skiing, tubing and plain old riding. My lake just got very small.

I have a wet celled conventional battery installed and it will not maintain a charge after using it for a day. I know I should have an AGM battery. I can pull it out and trickle charge it to full charge in about 3 hours with a motomaster car charger. The ski starts great for about a day and then turns over but doesn't start. I've been learning lots about batteries from this forum.
    When it's fully cranking, the MFD indicates over 13volts, sometimes 15.5 volts which I know is too much. After a day of use the resting voltage is under 12 volts and the cranking voltage is below 9.5volts, which I know won't start the engine. It eventually give me the low battery indication.

Could this be a defective battery or my charging system. I'll be bringing a multitester to the ski on the weekend to run some diagnostics listed on this forum.

Any ideas,

thanks
    Doug

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Is this a fuel injected engine, or carburetors?

As you may have read by now, the voltage display on the digital display may or may not be accurate. You need to use a proper voltmeter or multi-meter to measure battery charging voltages.

Since it seems to start properly with a well charged battery, I shall assume for the moment that the heavy red and black battery cables and their end connections, are in good condition.

When the engine is running, the voltage at the battery terminals should be right around 14.5 volts. If it is under 13.5 volts then the battery is definitely not being charged.

If the voltage is over 15.0 volts then the charging system is over-charging the battery, which is also not good.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the MFD is not accurate and I will be testing with multitester this evening. Even if the MFD is not accurate and displaying 15.9 volts while driving, what would you suspect is the defective part? I know little about electrical systems however testing and replacing modules would be in my comfort zone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwoods View Post
    ... I understand the MFD is not accurate and I will be testing with multitester this evening.

Even if the MFD is not accurate and displaying 15.9 volts while driving, what would you suspect is the defective part? I know little about electrical systems however testing and replacing modules would be in my comfort zone.
    Is this a carburetor or fuel injected engine?

The electrical system is very different between these two engine types.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The LR 505 is a combination start/stop switch and the voltage regulator. One side can go bad while the other side can stay good. A regulator can be bad or you could be having problems with a bad stator (flywheel charging section) Run the test on the charging system to try and locate which is failing. Check K447 or my signatures for info how to test.

It's a carburetor domestic red engine system. How do I find the tests from your signatures?

Thanks
    Doug

+1
    It's a carburetor domestic red engine system. How do I find the tests from your signatures?

Thanks
    Doug
    There is a module known as the LR-505 Start/Stop module. It contains several functions, one of which controls how the Start button works. It is not unusual for the Start/Stop section of the module to go bad, and there is a bypass test that can be done to confirm that aspect of the module has failed.

In your case the engine Start and Stop functions seem to be working, so the bypass test is not useful.

If you want to buy parts ahead of actually checking the watercraft with a multimeter, then the part to purchase is the LR-505 module. Polaris updated this part a couple of times, so my advice is to buy a new part, not used.

I think the most recent part number for LR-505 is 4010648. The actual module is located inside the electrical box.

That said, the LR module provides the battery charging and voltage regulation in conjunction with the charging coil in the magneto stator. The stator is located on the front of the engine behind the flywheel, so if it has failed it requires some real work with tools to replace it.

I recharged the battery and measured the charging voltage at constant 13 volts regardless of RPMs while at the dock. Multi tester and MFD were the same reading. Revved to 4500 rpm, still 13 volts. When I ride and start out, the MFD indicates 13 volts. After a minute and getting higher RPMs I notice voltage fluxuating around 15.7 as high as 15.9 on MFD. I ride for half an hour and return to dock. Turn off engine with stop button and it will not restart. Voltages now standing 11.5 and cranking under 9.5 until battery dies. Place battery on 2amp conventional setting charger and it's charged in 1 hour to full. Rince and repeat.

When I first took possession, the battery was low on water so I topped it up. About an inch of plates were uncovered.

I have ordered a new LR 505 which should be here in two weeks. Fingers crossed.
    Can you tell me where the electrical box is and any tips on access and module replacement.

Thanks so much for your help. If you were in Nova Scotia, I'd buy you a lobster dinner.
    Doug

+1
    I know I should have an AGM battery.
    I think you have the right idea here. You may have a combination of issues......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I know I should have an AGM battery.
    I think you have the right idea here. You may have a combination of issues......
    I recharged the battery and measured the charging voltage at constant 13 volts regardless of RPMs while at the dock. Multi tester and MFD were the same reading. Revved to 4500 rpm, still 13 volts. When I ride and start out, the MFD indicates 13 volts. After a minute and getting higher RPMs I notice voltage fluxuating around 15.7 as high as 15.9 on MFD. I ride for half an hour and return to dock. Turn off engine with stop button and it will not restart. Voltages now standing 11.5 and cranking under 9.5 until battery dies.

Place battery on 2 amp conventional setting charger and it's charged in 1 hour to full. Rinse and repeat.

When I first took possession, the battery was low on water so I topped it up. About an inch of plates were uncovered.

I have ordered a new LR 505 which should be here in two weeks. Fingers crossed.
    Can you tell me where the electrical box is and any tips on access and module replacement.

Thanks so much for your help. If you were in Nova Scotia, I'd buy you a lobster dinner.
    Doug
    I shall indeed try to get back to the Maritimes again, haven't been there in years.

The standard watercraft battery is rated at 19 Amp hours. That means it would take about 10 hours at 2 Amps to fully recharge it from drained.

There is no way a 2 Amp charger can fully recharge a nearly flat battery in one hour, unless that battery is in fact internally degraded. A degraded battery confuses the charger, indicating it is fully charged when in fact it is incapable of being properly charged.

I suggest you remove that battery immediately and consider it no longer useful. I suspect it has developed internal faults that could be causing the charging system to produce over voltage, and it could fail outright at any moment.

It is not possible to properly diagnose the charging system in these machines unless the battery itself is in good condition and known to be reliable.

Time to buy that AGM battery. Factory sealed Deka (East-Penn) made AGM is my preference.

That the old battery was low on water may indicate it was being overcharged, or just poorly maintained. Once the battery plates in an old-school lead-acid battery are exposed to the air, that usually means the end of useful battery life is near, or has already passed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information