Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

msx 150 limp mode after 1/2 throttle

i suspect some kind of tps sensor problem anyone have this problem

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

MSX 150 doesn't have a TPS... it has a PPU (pedal position unit). These rarely ever cause issues.

Does your turbo wastegate move? Grab the rod out of the actuator and try to move it downward. You should feel it move about an inch under heavy spring pressure and snap back shut when you let go. If it doesn't move... your wastegate is seized shut and causing overboost.
    Attachment 301076

If your wastegate is NOT seized... than it could be the wastegate solenoid... not to be confused with the BOV (blow-off valve). The wastegate solenoid is above the exhaust turbo manifold (new style) and has two small hoses coming to it. One from the input side of the turbo (boost source) and one to the wastegate actuator (can looking thing with rod coming out). The BOV is over on the other side of the ski by the intercooler... coming off the hardpipe.

What is the actual max RPM you see in limp mode? This will point us towards the problem. I'm betting it's around 4800... which would indicate overboost.

Cheers!

ok had it out on water and this is what i have found , running with seat off . i can bring the ski up to about 6000 rpm or just over 1/2 throttle and i see the waste gate moving , i can run like this all day no problem . but as soon as i try some more throttle it goes into limp mode 2000 rpm . pull key and repeat . also if i am at idle and pull throttle all the way back fast the ski goes in to limp mode before it even takes off . this is why i suspect the throttle to be the problem .. Need help

+1
    Ah... okay... given the additional information... I see what your describing better. It very well could be an issue with your PPU.

Service manual says this:
    Limp--Home Mode 1750 max rpm Cause: Failure with either the ECU, ETB, or PPU components.

So that lines up with what your experiencing.

Here is a section from the service manual. You should try the ETB Learning procedure and see if that helps. If not... might have a bad PPU or PPU Interface box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX-ETB_PPU_Manual_Info.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	310931

Cheers!

Thanks for the info i will try this ETB learn tonight , and let you know what i finf . love this ski but it seams to have some problems . Thanks again

ok got it fixed found that the cable adjuster (from handle bar to PPU)had to much free play (the feed back from one sensor to the other must not have mached ) took some of the free play out and bam i can pin the throttle to the handle bar and let the lake go by .
    Thanks for all the great info ....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage21733 View Post
    ok got it fixed found that the cable adjuster (from handle bar to PPU)had to much free play (the feed back from one sensor to the other must not have mached ) took some of the free play out and bam i can pin the throttle to the handle bar and let the lake go by .
    Thanks for all the great info ....
    What is the maximum sustained RPM the engine is now running at?

problem is back and i can not get it to go away , i have tyaken the ppu out and would like to see if it has a bad spot in the mid range any ideas on how to test the ppu

did you figure out what was causing your problem yet? One of my 2004 msx110's is having similar issues...

Quote Originally Posted by msx110s View Post
    did you figure out what was causing your problem yet? One of my 2004 msx110's is having similar issues...
    I got a new PPU unit and tried it but same problem my next guess will b the electronic throttle body

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information