96 Seadoo GTX regulator/rectifier

Hi, I recently bought a 1996 Seadoo GTX. I have very little knowledge when it comes to PWC and very little knowledge about engines period, so don't assume I know anything Anyhow, when I first bought this thing, it wouldn't start at all. I took apart the electrical box housing the ignition coil, and found it was full of water. I dried it out, bought a new ignition coil, and it now starts and seems to run pretty well to me, so I'm off to a good start so far I think. I am still having a problem, however... I brought it to the lake and ran about a half a tank of gas through it. It flashed 12V low quite often while starting it, and for a little while after starting it, which I wasn't sure was normal, but other than that I didn't have any problems until I had run it for quite awhile. Suddenly it just stopped, and I couldn't get it started again. Most of the time when trying to start it, it wouldn't even turn over, just clicked. I brought it home, put it on my battery tender overnight, and started it the next morning and it fired up just fine again. At this point I was suspecting that maybe the charging system wasn't working properly, so I decided to check the voltage at the battery with it off, and again with it on to see if the voltage went up as I expected it should. The voltage did climb while it was running.. I watched it go from 12 or 13 volts (I forget exactly what the starting voltage was) up to about 16.4V before I decided to shut it off. I think had I left it on it probably would have continued to climb. Anyhow, at this point I checked my service manual and I read that the voltage should never exceed 15V, and if it does, it's likely a bad regulator/rectifier. At this point, unless someone tells me otherwise, I think I'm going to buy and install a rectifier, but before I do that, I kind of want to make sure I'm going to know how to install it correctly when it gets here, so here's my question: I see four wires coming out of it, three yellow, one red. Are all the yellow wires the same, or do I need to make sure that a specific yellow wire on the rectifier goes to a specific yellow wire on the Seadoo? and if they're different, how do I know which yellow wire is which? Thanks!

The Atl
    All 3 yellows are the same.

But I always swap electrical parts one wire at a time to make sure, some colors can look the same....

I think you got it pinned down for what your problem is. The voltage should never go that high. When it does the regulator/rectifier is most likely the cause. Also even when everything on the charging system is good, it's not uncommon for your 12 volt low to flash for a few seconds right after starting up.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    12v low will flash on seadoos if the battery hits 10v..which lots of batteries do when they aren't in top shape ( and some brand new batteries also)..Takes a couple of seconds between mesurements, so as soon as the engine is running the mpem sees 13v+ and the warning goes away. Only worry when you see 12v low and the engine is running

Thread Information