700 virage pipe removal?

I am replacing a leaky exhaust manifold gasket.I have it all apart and am wondering if there is some way to get the pipe out before removing the manifold?I see in the gasket kit that the cooling manifold has to come off and I did that ,but could not wiggle the pipe out!
    The book does not explain the removal very well and thought maybe someone here knows a trick or I have to deal with it?
    Also should I lock tite them?The book says no Loctite,but it looks like there was some sort of thread lock.A white looking stuff.

+1
    You have to take the water box off first then the pipe the white stuff on the threads is anti seize. There should be one or two bolts on the side of the pipe and four on top.

Banned User
    +1
    In my experience, the 700 pipes don't come out without pulling the motor. It might come out with the exhaust manifold out. There really is no reason to take the pipe out of the hull if you are just replacing gaskets.

That is what I was thinking,but it would make it a lot easier. While I was at it I took the resonators and pipe and all the other exhaust fittings and cleaned all the gunk out of them. Can't hurt to clean them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    In my experience, the 700 pipes don't come out without pulling the motor. It might come out with the exhaust manifold out. There really is no reason to take the pipe out of the hull if you are just replacing gaskets.

+1
    ive found the best way to remove the exhaust is to remove the red cast alloy manifold with the black cast alloy manifold still attached. and pull it rearwards in the hull. (move the back box out first)

reverse for refit.

i always have big trouble getting the four long bots out of the top of the manifold. esp if salt ridden ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spannerspencer View Post
    ive found the best way to remove the exhaust is to remove the red cast alloy manifold with the black cast alloy manifold still attached. and pull it rearwards in the hull. (move the back box out first)

reverse for refit.
    Having pulled several of these over the last few weeks (SL 700's anyways, hurricane was easy to pull just the pipe) I've found this way is easiest. Pull the front most 19mm bolt out of the black pipe, then the two lower bolts for the support bracket by the rear motor mount and then the 6 13mm bolts from the black Y-pipe, remove the waterbox from the hull and you should be able to slide the pipe and y-pipe manifold as one assembly back and twist it out. I have yet to pull the pipe on my Virage I so I'm not sure if that would still work. I suspect it would though.

Thread Information