Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Launching with Car

I cant seem to find a ton of information on launching with a car. I would like to keep the entire car dry, so:

Should I buy a trailer such as a load rite that has the area bowed where the bunks sits? To make the ski sit lower?
    Or should I find a way to extend the tongue a substantial way?

Will be towing with this:

Thank you!
    Last edited by Envy; 08-21-2013 at 08:47 PM.

I launch with my 2004 sebring convertable and it gets pretty wet. If your launch area doesn't have a break wall, then good luck.i would definitely look for one with a long receiver.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is that car lowered? If so, you may find the car bottoming at the top of the launch ramps.

How much you need to do to keep the car dry in part depends on the slope of the ramps and how much wave action there may be.

Ramps with a shallow slope tend to require the trailer be backed farther into the water.

A example of a good starting choice is the Triton Elite WC1 trailer. It has a longer tongue (199 inches overall), curved rear frame rails to allow the hull be sit lower, and a torsion axle for excellent road ride.

Note that tire diameter also is a factor. Larger tires will raise the trailer frame, requiring the trailer to be backed farther down the ramp.

You can further extend the tongue using a Fulton hinge and tongue extension. The hinge allows the extension to fold around beside the trailer when parked.

Make sure the hitch you install on the car (actually, the ball mount) positions the ball at the correct height to keep the trailer frame level when trailer and car are loaded up and ready to go.

It is important for stability at speed that the tongue have significant weight on the tow ball. Roughly 1/7 of the total trailer+watercraft weight should be on the ball. For a 1,000 pound total trailer weight, the ball will have about 150 pounds on it.

Some people run with less tongue weight, but the more the better from a stability perspective, especially during sudden highway maneuvers and sudden braking.

If the tongue weight on the ball causes the rear of the car to sag too close to the ground, consider adding air bags into the rear springs to provide some lift and load support. Air Lift Company sells their 1000 series, which I have used to level out my own car when loaded.

+1
    I personally wouldn't try to tow anything with a lowered car.
    Your only asking for problems..

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    I personally wouldn't try to tow anything with a lowered car.
    Your only asking for problems..
    I think that is stock ride height on the subaru impreza wrx sti

+1

I launch with my lowered 1996 Camaro Z28 convertible. I don't even put the car's tires in the water. Triton trailer. At about 7:45.
    Last edited by DrivingZiggy; 08-26-2013 at 12:04 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Envy View Post
    I cant seem to find a ton of information on launching with a car. I would like to keep the entire car dry, so:

Should I buy a trailer such as a load rite that has the area bowed where the bunks sits? To make the ski sit lower?
    Or should I find a way to extend the tongue a substantial way?

Will be towing with this:

Thank you!

BROTHER!!!!!

Lowered 1.5" on H&R springs. I only scrape the exhaust flange behind the cat on VERY steep ramps, at the corner of the ramp and flat ground. That's it.
    Sometimes on very shallow ramps with wavey/choppy water, water gets up to/splashes the rear tires, never farther, and never on the body. Fart-can is the first thing to hit the water tho. Lemme know if you got any questions.

What's the hitch solution for a GR w/ the quad exhaust tho?

I used to tow with my 04 wrx wagon. And no issues. That's a nice scoob I would hate to see you. Ruin your suspension. You. A member of nasioc?. Anywho don't forget the modulite to power trailer lamps. Pm me if u have questions. I rigged many subies including my own to tow a ski.

+1
    Long tonque, and the lower trailer, you will be fine. My rear tires have never gotten less than 3 foot from getting wet probably. I can walk around the back of the car and release the winch without getting wet, then walk down the side of the trailer to get on the ski. I have dropped my seadoos in probably 20+ without a single issue.
    Just hold up the parking brake and release as you are slipping the clutch out...it's simple, but get some interesting looks LOL.

2013 Cruze ECO, 1.4L turbo, 6-speed manual, FWD. I have been getting 29-35mpg towing, and I don't drive it easy LOL

Both trailers pictures are from "Mid America" with 12" wheels. I measured about 86lbs tongue weight. I haven't had a single issue; when cars around around me, I pull at 75mph....when cars are, I keep about 4x as much distance between me and the car in front of me when I'm towing as well... It's a great pulling trailer.

Last edited by Jwall; 08-28-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwall View Post
    Long tonque, and the lower trailer, you will be fine.
    ... I don't drive it easy LOL

Both trailers pictures are from "Mid America" with 12" wheels. I measured about 86lbs tongue weight. I haven't had a single issue; when cars around around me, I pull at 75mph....when cars are, I keep about 4x as much distance between me and the car in front of me when I'm towing as well... It's a great pulling trailer.

My suggestions, and it is merely that, would be to shift the front winch forward. This would position the hull farther forward on the trailer. That would allow the rear straps to be more vertical down to the trailer. The angled straps cannot hold the ski tightly to the bunks in a hard bounce.

Also, use ratchet straps, not friction cam lock straps. Cam straps can loosen while traveling, and cannot be snugged up as tight as good ratchet straps. You want the rear of the hull to be held very snugly to the bunks. When you bounce or lift up the hull, the trailer should not sag below, it should stay tight to the hull. That way when the trailer bounces, the ski and trailer bounce together, as one unit.

At the front, consider adding a safety strap or chain to the bow eye. If the winch latch ever fails or just doesn't catch properly, you would have another strap to keep the hull in position.

In the first photo, the trailer tires look soft. Are you inflating the trailer tires to the sidewall rated maximum pressure? For most trailers, that is the recommended pressure, maximum sidewall specified.

Since you are towing at speeds above 65mph, the tires need maximum pressure to resist heating and load derating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information