Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Riva Catch Can Arrived

My Riva catch can was waiting for me at the house when I got back from the river today (yes, I bought it through the GH store).

It's cool, and I love the bracket... but I actually think I like my DIY one better! I only made the DIY one because I got impatient waiting for my Riva one to arrive.

After inspecting the Riva one, a bit of web searching led me to find the exact MotionPro brand petcock it uses:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/C08-189B/

and the 99 cent grommet on the bottom of the can that holds the petcock in place:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/C08-189C/

and I think I even found the exact S&B brand crankcase vent filter they use:

http://www.amazon.com/Clamp-On-Crank.../dp/B002U5128W

I just need to figure out how to easily hack a bracket for these DIY catch cans. This thing looks like it really does mount nicely... but $100 worth of nicely?

And the clamp holding the breather on is zinc, not stainless? Come on, Riva!

And, I can go one better. I realized this morning after some more searching that the Riva catch can... is actually a Jaz Products catch can. The ONLY difference is the larger brass fitting for the SeaDoo oil separator hose and an angled mounting bracket.

Check it out:

http://www.jazproducts.com/breather_tanks.html

Scroll down to the "1 Pint Mini Breather" section. See anything familiar? The one used by Riva (natural colored -- not pictured) is #605-375-01. The black one (which I think looks cooler) is #605-375-05.

Jaz charges $58.75 for either one -- and I just called to verify that they'll ship one of these units to anyone without the inlet holes drilled in the side (just ask when you call). It even has the female mounting holes already embedded in the side of the tank to attach a bracket.

So... $139.99 - $58.75 = $81.24 in savings. Subtract $5 for the brass barbed fitting and you're at $76.24 in savings. You can then put this tank in a vice, drill a hole for the brass barbed fitting (looking at my Riva can, that's exactly what they did) and just wrench the fitting into place (it will self thread). It doesn't look like Riva used silicone or anything (doesn't look like it needs it).

So for less than half the price of the Riva ($63.75 = $58.75 + $5) you will literally have the identical catch can to the Riva... but without the bracket. Is that bracket really worth $76.24? I bet we could find someone to make a matching bracket that will attach to the holes already in the side of the Riva can for a lot less.
    Last edited by Ferrari Steve; 09-19-2013 at 10:39 AM.

+1
    There is a 6 year old thread on this site somewhere showing exactly what you just did. That's how we started making our catch cans, then Riva started marketing them already made.

I just bent up a piece of aluminum and mounted the can to the same bolts used for the motor lift bracket. I just have to pull off the breather cap when I pull the battery out when winterizing.

The natural color is nice as you can see if there is anything in you can.

+1
    You'll find the same rings true for most of their products. Obscenely over priced.
    Not to mention its not baffled so oily residue gets blown out of the breather element

Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post
    There is a 6 year old thread on this site somewhere showing exactly what you just did. That's how we started making our catch cans, then Riva started marketing them already made.
    LOL. Nice. Well, we must be on some 6 year cycle.

I just bent up a piece of aluminum and mounted the can to the same bolts used for the motor lift bracket. I just have to pull off the breather cap when I pull the battery out when winterizing.
    The aluminum Riva is using for their bracket is pretty thick. How thick was the bracket you made, and how did you bend it?

The natural color is nice as you can see if there is anything in you can.
    Tru dat.

+1
    That's about what my bracket looks like. I just used a bench vise to bend it. Took an orbital sander to put a finished look on the aluminum when done.
    I'll get a picture this weekend.
    The hardest piece to source was the nipple cover used to plug the Riva intake where the return hose used to go.

That's about what my bracket looks like. I just used a bench vise to bend it. Took an orbital sander to put a finished look on the aluminum when done.
    I'll get a picture this weekend.
    The hardest piece to source was the nipple cover used to plug the Riva intake where the return hose used to go.
    Would LOVE to see a pic. And since I'm using the rear intake, plugging the hole isn't a problem. But out of curiosity, where DID you source that nipple?

Banned User
    +1
    Wow nice thread Steve! I have heard from a few guys on here the RIVa is just rebranded and tweaked goods. Thanks man!

+1
    Might want to use a better filter, mine disintegrated, literally fell apart and ended up a mess in my hull. I don't think it ever got any oil in it...but maybe the sea doo lube spraying killed it. Pretty sad though.

+1
    Couple pictures of the bracket and mounting of catch can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cc1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	311841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cc2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	311842
    Last edited by R-Doo; 08-29-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information