Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Virage upgrades?

After a long battle, I seem to have the Virage running great.
    However, while fixing this ski, my wife grew attached to the ride of my gpr and doesn't want to give it up.
    So, now I'm looking at upgrading the Virage in pretty much all aspects but speed (it already runs around 60 and we rarely go that fast anyway).
    Complaint #1 is the seat, it's terribly uncomfortable. Are there any seats that can be swapped over that don't have the lift up rear section (like the pro1200)? Or any other seat that's better? I want to explore my options before spending the money to re-cover mine.
    What else can be done to increase rideability and comfort? Any must-do mods for these skis? We pretty much ride 50/50 calm water and big chop water. I'd really like to get it closer to the ride of the gpr in the chop (where the gpr bounds off the waves, the Virage plows through and gives the rider a bit of a beating). Again, any tips, tricks, or maintenance I might be missing please let me know. It seems like a good platform, I'd like to stay with it instead of getting another yami.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Rough water riding, you would be standing up anyways, so the seat don't matter so much

Perhaps your Virage seat has aged and needs new foam, or needs to be reshaped with new foam. A good marine upholstery shop can reshape the seat and use whatever density foam you might prefer.

My own 2002 Virage TXi has the rear seat section which lifts up, and I am frequently opening that little seat up up to access dock lines, water bottle, camera, other stuff. I almost never sit that far back on the seat, in fact I rarely sit down while riding, even on smooth water.

If you really want a one piece seat, the Freedom model did not have that separate rear seat section (nor the handy storage bin below). I expect it would fit right in where the Virage seat fits, but I have never actually done so.

What I have noticed with the Virage seats I have ridden is that the seat base is perhaps a half inch too wide along each side, so it rubs against my calves when riding while standing.

+1
    Rough water upgrades would start with a more agressive intake grate. I have the R&D 650 or 750SL intake grate on mine, and it does help.

I also have the 8 or 12 vane jet pump stator; need to actually go look ...

Banned User
    +1
    Try a set of cut sponsons. It softens up the ride considerably. I like what it did for the ride on mine, but it made the tail end of the ski looser, and I like a hard turning boat. I have a set that I cut here if you want to try them sometime. Ocean Pro ride plate is a nice upgrade too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What I have noticed with the Virage seats I have ridden is that the seat base is perhaps a half inch too wide along each side, so it rubs against my calves when riding while standing.
    Wider than the MSX? I'm noticing this on my MSX.

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Wider than the MSX? I'm noticing this on my MSX.

Cheers!
    The Virage seat base is wider than the footwell sides below the seat, so the seat edges 'overhang'.

The MSX is just a very different seat shape. Also feels quite wide, but I don't get to ride it very often

Keith - the seat has definitely aged. If I don't find a replacement, it's going to need to be re-done. I'm kinda weighing the pros and cons, as well as price, for both options. I don't have a rear bin (and haven't found a decently priced replacement yet), so I wouldn't notice the loss of storage space.
    I'll start shopping around for intake grates and stators, what are good choices to look for? Pros of 8 vein over 6?

Bryan - if you have cut sponsons I could try, that would be awesome. I wanted to try this myself, but I really don't know what I'm doing and didn't want to mess mine up. I could bring the ski up by you and maybe get your insight on a few other items too.
    Last edited by Jeff G; 08-22-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    If you want to come by sometime, just let me know.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    what year tx?

It's a 2000 carb 1200

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information