Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Need some advice on re-doing my Trailer Bunks

I've got a 2008 Zieman single place trailer, and sitting on it, is a 900++ Lb 2013 Seadoo GTX 260 Limited iS. Before that, it was a 2008 RXT-X. The trailer drives maybe 2 miles, round-trip to the gas station, and to where I put the boat in the water. Then, the trailer sits in the water the entire time I'm riding. When not riding-it sits inside my garage.
    So, when I sold my 2008 RXT-X, that would have been the perfect time to re-carpet the bunks.....but no, didn't think about that..until I got the new ski.

So, I ordered these bunk sliders;http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...-x-15L&i=31317
    Thinking that I'll just screw them over the carpet, and be done. I would only use 3? per side, and I planned on using plenty of tie-downs to keep the boat from sliding off the trailer.
    However, I've been told by more than 1 person, that these trailer slides will mar my gel coat, and if I trailer the boat long distances, could leave some marks or chips in the gel coat.

I'm wondering if anyone uses these, on a Seadoo(keep in mind, some manufacturers gel coat is softer than others)?

What carpet would you recommend(Link please), if I decided to just pull off the old carpet, and put new carpet back on?

The wood is fine-it sags a bit, but it matches the contours of the hull, so I'm fine with that. Just don't want to muck up the bottom of my hull-it's a brand new boat. And so far, I've been lucky. I pull the trailer deep into the water, and float the boat off. Same with putting it back on-minimal sliding on the bunks.
    But, in the winter, I'll need to slide the boat off/on the trailer, and am looking for an easy solution.

+1
    I was thinking about using these until I read a post from someone that had them. He forgot to tie his ski down, and the front came apart, and the ski came off the trailer half way up the boat ramp. Just the thought of that makes me like the friction of carpet.

+1
    Hi,

I use those exact slides on my 2 place trailer. I have a 2005 RXT and a 2013 RXT-X. I've been using them since October last year and have had no problems with any issues on the bottom of the hull. They do leave a light rub mark I guess you can call it but they rub right off with a wet rag. I highly recommend creating a safety chain to attach to your bow eye just in case your winch fails as you back down the boat ramp. The skis would easily slide off the trailer on an incline. Other than that, I absolutely love these things and make life so easy when I remove one ski off my trailer on to a maintenance cart.
    Last edited by lt1pwr; 08-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    OK, thanks. I plan on having a back-up line up front to the bow, and a rear tie-down as well. It was just some people were claiming that these marred/damaged their hulls....but, they weren't SeaDoo hulls.
    I figure it's easier just to use these over the carpet....and only plan on using maybe 4, or 6...haven't decided yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    OK, thanks. I plan on having a back-up line up front to the bow, and a rear tie-down as well. It was just some people were claiming that these marred/damaged their hulls....but, they weren't SeaDoo hulls.
    I figure it's easier just to use these over the carpet....and only plan on using maybe 4, or 6...haven't decided yet.

Yeah I think you will really like them. I use 4 pads on each bunk which covers it evenly.

+1
    I've been using them on my 06 RXT for 5years now. They will definitely make getting the ski on and off easier. Some times a bit too easy. You will not have to float the ski off anymore.
    My worry was it would cause pressure points on the hull but so far no problems.

I used these.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	311146
    I have always used general marine carpet on new treated wood fr the bunks. Make sure your staples are stainless. Put seam side up and cover with sliders. Work great on 1200 xlt limited.

Banned User
    +1
    Just placed an order for 2 brand new bunks, from Zieman. They come with the brackets already mounted, and carpeted-of course. I'll know the exact price tomorrow-but it was less than $40 per bunk......hard to beat that price. The originals lasted 5 years-so I'm sure the new one's will last that long.
    Will post up the shipped price tomorrow, when I get the total.

I used these for about a year and the black hull of my seadoo got really scratched up from these. The scratches on the white hull on my Yamaha were not very noticeable.

+1
    id stick to standard carpet and replace the boards on the trailer. (do it with the ski in the water)

900lbs on old bunks and old carpet just sucks. bass pro sells carpet in rolls.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information