Trouble starting 2005 Seadoo RXT

I recently purchased 2x 2005 Seadoo RXT. When I first took them out they started up and then wouldn't fully crank over again, just kind of puttered. I purchased two new batteries replacing the old ones. But it's still having a similar issue. Before talking them out I will leave them on 2amp tender's that will charge them to full and shut off. Throw them in the water they start up great. They run perfect making the normal engine sounds.

The problem comes if I leave them sitting in the water for any length of time. After playing a little I will dock them, run in have lunch reapply sun screen and come back to them after an hour. Now they won't start. Key on the post making the proper beeps, display reads normal, hit the start/stop and you get the ra, ra, ra, but no complete turn over. And this happens to both of them. It takes about 20-30 minutes of trying to start them and they will finally fully turn over and run great. If the key pops off, you can reattach and they start right up. It only happens after sitting for a good period.

We have tried using a portable jumper and it doesn't change this process. What I need to know is where to start looking. I assume the issues lies in the rectifier, solenoid, starter, or starter button. Seeing as the ski runs fun it shouldn't be the magneto, and seeing as they both have new batteries they should also be fine.

thank you for you replies.

+1
    any way you can post a video of trying to start the ski while it not starting?

So the starter turns the motor over like it should but it just wont start?
    Any code when this happens. (push set button 5 time fast with key on, if it just says end then there is no codes)

If the starter turns the motor over like it should but wont start its likely 1 of 2 things, no spark or no fuel.

I have full tanks of 91 octane full in both of them (recommended by seadoo) and brand new spark plugs. As mentioned they run fine. If they have been sitting on the charger they will start right up. It's only after sitting in the water (after using them earlier) that they won't completely turn over, eventually after trying many times (more then 20) they will fully turn over.

Can't post a video as I don't have Internet where I am, using my phone.

+1
    Ok do they crank over fast or slow when they wont start?

+1
    starter relays.

Same as normal they just won't make that final turn. Usually the engine will even belch an air bubble out like it wants MRI start but couldn't quite make it.

Check the battery voltage across the starter relay post when it will not crank. If it is good? ( I doubt it is??) Check Battery Grounds. Bolted to the front of the engine. A digital volt meter will tell you the problem you having.. The strater relay is in the same area as the battery. Could be Brown or Black switch mounted to the vertical frame just to the side of the battery) It has your 2 red battery cabels attached to the top of it with covers that are attached to the top. You will have to remove the cover off the top of the relay posts. sometimes a relay that has went bad is the result of a owner trying to crank a boat with a very low battery. This burns the contacts thast are inside the switch... making them Dirty to Good Voltage later...... You will see a voltage drop arcoss the rely while it is loaded (starting to trying to start) if this is the problem...... hope this helps you get back to running..

you could have leaking injectors dribbling fuel whilst stationary, have you tried starting them directly after shutting them down?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by winterstick View Post
    you could have leaking injectors dribbling fuel whilst stationary, have you tried starting them directly after shutting them down?
    Yea he says they pop right off if started right away. But let them sit a little and no start.

Injectors would be easy to test. Pull the two bolts pull up the rail and injectors. Pressureize the fuel by putting the key on and not starting.
    Then watch the injectors and see if they leak out the bottom.

Thread Information