Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea Doo Jet Pump Oil Question

I have heard of some people using outboard lower unit gear oil in their jet pump. Is this an OK thing to do or is it asking for trouble? If anyone knows, please reply. Thanks!

+1
    try searching and then post questions. look 3 threads down and we just covered it again. also try the FAQ.

Short answer: Yes

+1
    You can use gear oil,trans fluid or lower unit oil....all you are doing is providing the bearings a oil bath to help keep them lubricated

Thanks Snoman. Good to know. I sure didn't know you could use transmission fluid. I saw references to using grease instead of oil but I guess that is for the newer pumps? I also saw references to gear oil but not lower unit gear oil. I don't know that much about oils so that was the reason for the question. Sound like I should have posted on the thread "oil vs. grease" for the pump. Oh well...Life goes on...

+1
    its all good brother....Welcome to GH...Trans fliud is used by a wide variaty of racers,they use it because its thinner than gear lube which creates less drag.I dont recommend trans fluid for the every day rec. rider as it is so thin if your seals do leak you could piss it all out in one outing..stick with the gear or lower unit oil and you will be ok...after a ride or two pull it apart again to make sure you have no leaks or water getting into the pump area....

For this oil mod, I used a thin layer of high temp gasket maker on the pump and cone just in case my o-rings in the pump decide to get "tired" and want to leak the oil out (or suck water in).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    For this oil mod, I used a thin layer of high temp gasket maker on the pump and cone just in case my o-rings in the pump decide to get "tired" and want to leak the oil out (or suck water in).
    And what did you do to ensure the front seals dont leak???

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    And what did you do to ensure the front seals dont leak???
    I wasn't aware there was anything to do with the front seals. I always read about "2 ounces in the cone and go for it" basically.

In none of my oil mod posts or thread, I don't recall anyone ever saying "hey Sean, while you're doing this mod, be sure to do xyz to your front seal"
    Last edited by blkturbo!; 08-24-2013 at 10:52 AM.

+1
    I think snoman is saying the front seals are far more likely to leak than the cone o rings, so sealing them(o rings) is fairly pointless. The seals not only have water against them but also the rotation/wear from the pump shaft, whereas the o rings just sit there.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information