Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 RXP whine sound when turning

Hi all,

I have an 04 RXP that is making a weird noise when I turn at speed in the water. Best way to describe it is a whine. Ski seems to be running well. There are about 60 hrs on it and the Supercharger was done at 25 when I bought it. Only thing I have changed so far was the ride play. No leaking or any loss of speed noted. Any ideas where to look for the gremlin?

Thanks.
    Jon

I would check the supercharger slip if i hear any noise out of the engine while it is running. Also pull the booth from the charger to the throttle body ( short hose bent in a 90 degree bend) and check for metal flakes, I have seen several supercharger brgs fail and allow the intake wheel to drag the compressor hsg. if this brg fails you cannot control end play on the turbine shaft or intake wheel. the wheel will drag the compressor hsg and make a high pitched whineing noise. I just updated my own RXP for the same failure after a 20 hr rebuild on the supercharger failed. I install a new X charger and the 50 lb injectors. if you determine the Supercharger is Good? Check the pump for Sticks or other that cannot pass thru the ex side of pump & may be rubbing on your wear ring of inside of pump. You can also remove the oil filter and take a look at the pleates on the outside of the filter to see if they are retaining any metal parts alum or chrome particals? This will help you know the general health of your Engine at any time...... I keep a close eye on the outside of my oil filter. especially If i am riding WOT or hard for all weekend. Hope this help you resolve your problems?

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joe w View Post
    I would check the supercharger slip if i hear any noise out of the engine while it is running. Also pull the booth from the charger to the throttle body ( short hose bent in a 90 degree bend) and check for metal flakes, I have seen several supercharger brgs fail and allow the intake wheel to drag the compressor hsg. if this brg fails you cannot control end play on the turbine shaft or intake wheel. the wheel will drag the compressor hsg and make a high pitched whineing noise. I just updated my own RXP for the same failure after a 20 hr rebuild on the supercharger failed. I install a new X charger and the 50 lb injectors. if you determine the Supercharger is Good? Check the pump for Sticks or other that cannot pass thru the ex side of pump & may be rubbing on your wear ring of inside of pump. You can also remove the oil filter and take a look at the pleates on the outside of the filter to see if they are retaining any metal parts alum or chrome particals? This will help you know the general health of your Engine at any time...... I keep a close eye on the outside of my oil filter. especially If i am riding WOT or hard for all weekend. Hope this help you resolve your problems?

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt its his Scer or engine....Under turning conditions it can make that sound due to the hydrodynamics of the water flowing around the grate or OPAS while going through a turn...This is a common noise on these skis while making hard fast turns..

Snoman, I ride the same ski he is asking about. None of mine make noises while turning!!! WFO or half throttle. p.s. watching to see what you have him check? we are all learning here. Hell 1/2 of the dealers know a lot less than most owners on this board..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt its his Scer or engine....Under turning conditions it can make that sound due to the hydrodynamics of the water flowing around the grate or OPAS while going through a turn...This is a common noise on these skis while making hard fast turns..
    +1!

Original poster - I know you said it is a "whine" noise, but would you also say its a sort of a slightly high pitch "screetch" noise while turning?If so, then I think you're hearing what Snoman and I agree that you're probably hearing. I don't hear it very often, but I have heard it a handful of times before.....sounds as though it's coming from the sponson area. Not saying its the sponsons....just that my ear has picked it up from that direction. Would you say the same thing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joe w View Post
    Snoman, I ride the same ski he is asking about. None of mine make noises while turning!!! WFO or half throttle. p.s. watching to see what you have him check? we are all learning here. Hell 1/2 of the dealers know a lot less than most owners on this board..
    I have 2 06 RXPs myself and i had 1 that made that noise on turns and 1 that didn't...There is really nothing that Resolves the noise until you change intake grates and OPAS blockoffs...At least once i put them on my skis the noise went away...its nothing to worry yourselves over,nothing is wrong or gonna break,its just the hydrodynamics of the water flowing around certain parts upon turning....

+1
    I use to get that noise to. I stopped taking the girlfriend and it went away

9. +1 by:

+1
    +1 I'm putting my money on the OPAS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information