Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Signs of impending engine seizure ?

I'm looking for some opinions on possible signs of an impending engine seizure on a 951 SD. The GF's ski had a frozen throttle and she took it to her "buddy" who is a former BRP tech. He fixed the throttle, but the ski seemed to have lost some of it's top end speed. After using it 2x, the throttle froze up again. She took it back, he "fixed" the throttle and discovered an exhaust leak, which he said couldn't be fixed without replacing the entire pipe, (I doubt this !!) which he did. Next time she goes to use the ski, it cranks over, starts easily, idles good, no exhaust pipe leak, throttle cable works....but when she gives it gas to get on plane the engine dies. Once again she takes it back to the BRP tech. This time he tells her the engine is about to cease up ??

In my opinion when an engine is going to seize, RPMs fall and then it locks up! Case closed. I have never heard of an engine that cranks over, starts and idles fine, would be about to seize. If the bearings were on their way south, the added friction would affect it's running across the entire RPM band, including idle. To me this seems like a fuel problem. any other opinions?

Richard

+1
    Fuel filters in the carb or the external one. If it has gray fuel lines they tend to go bad and gum up the filters. The 99-02 models were notorious for that.

There is probably enough fuel to idle/start but once it needs more its to clogged up -

Another thing I have seen is the airbox not being reinstalled correctly over the carbs. If its not on there all the way it is getting to much air and will stall @ 3500 RPM's or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd
    Fuel filters in the carb or the external one. If it has gray fuel lines they tend to go bad and gum up the filters. The 99-02 models were notorious for that.

There is probably enough fuel to idle/start but once it needs more its to clogged up -

Another thing I have seen is the airbox not being reinstalled correctly over the carbs. If its not on there all the way it is getting to much air and will stall @ 3500 RPM's or so.
    I had a similar problem with a 99xpl I got this summer. The filters in the carbs where gumed up. I thought it was from old gas turning into varnish, (the ski had been sitting for atleast two years) but it could be those gray lines deterating causing the filters to clog. I need to check those filters again.

Rich my xpl was acting as you described. When I cleaned the carb filters it ran great the rest of the summer. It wouldn't hurt to check the main filter also.

+1
    I have never seen a 951 boat with good lines.

Some were worse than others but all had some level of breakdown.

Change the lines and filters it is cheap insurance.
    (Clean the tank out as well)

Also ride the ski with the seat off to make sure the leak is fixed looking at idle you can not always see the leak.

Look for air leaks around the carb base gaskets.

Richard,
    The carb filters mentioned are a common problem. If you pull the RAVE valves you should be able to get a look at the piston and ring condition. You can turn it over by hand and look at the side and top of the piston, not a great view but better than guessing. Next thing to do is check the compression. If it has a problem it will more than likely be in the PTO cylinder.
    If the RAVES and pistons look OK and the compression checks out OK, the carb filters would be the thing to tackle. On the 951's they are a pain in the ass to get to because of the pipe.
    Friend of mine just locked his up from running lean, rear cylinder, clogged carb filters and running shit for oil was the culprit.

+1
    Thanks guys for the advice. I spoke with the SD tech today and now I'm pretty convinced the motor is on it's way to a complete seizure. The GF is towing it over here today do I'll have a closer look at it. Anyone interested in a '99 GTX Ltd. with a seized engine and a '98 GTX Ltd. which may be on the way out...with a galvanized tandom trailer...cheap ??

Richard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstott40
    how cheap?
    Email the "owner" Bchbuff@aol.com, I hate to get involved in money matters, especially when GF's are involved.

Richard

+1
    Richard just to throw in my .02

An engine can not be on the way to a siezure.
    It either has good compression and cylinder walls that look good or it doesn't.

I would check into this a little more if you felt like helping a little more.

Do the rave valve thing and look into the cylinders and do a compression test. If both are OK then fix the problem and go ride.

It is only fixing to sieze if you know there is a problem and keep riding it.

I just hate seeing people get the shaft.

Good Luck

David

+1
    David; Supposedly the bottom end bearings are what's going bad. Rings and pistons are OK. I was told it runs fine at idle on a hose, but "locks up" and stalls as soon as it gets on plane. It will start again after letting it sit a few minutes. I would think that if it "ceases" once, that would be it. I have to try it myself..if I ever get any time. I hate messing with salt water skis, every thing you touch on them usually turns into a big problem.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information