choke plate removal

Can you guys explain to me how to get the choke butterflies and rods out of the carbs on my GP? I'm installing my primer kit and can't figure out how to get them out. Do you have to remove the carbs? I hope not. I tried downloading the online manual, but couldn't get it to load.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    you should remove the carbs. just leave them on the mounting rack. reason being that when, not if, you drop one of the screws that holds the choke plates to the shaft, you will need to pull the whole intake system off. . . or worse- split the cases.

then you just remove the linkage, nut and plates and the shaft slides right out. you may need to drill the screw out with a 1/8 bit if they don't unscrew.

Take the carbs off. You need to grind on the back side of the screws that hold the choke plate to the rod (its almost like they punched the small amount of threads that stick out past the rod so the screw can't back out). Once you have ground the screw down to the rod, they will back out alot easier than without doing the grinding. With the choke plate off, the rod should slide right out. Besure to place some kind of plugs back in the rod holes. Riva and a couple of other places sell some nice brass ones. I put my brass primer nipple in one hole (Riva sells them too) and a brass plug in the other.

Thanks guys. My primer kit did come with the plugs, so I will be good to go.

Well I got those choke plates out. I ended up taking a pair of ViseGrips and grabbing the head of the screw and turning it out like that. But, it twisted the screw in half coming out. Doesn't matter cause I'm never re-installing them ever again. Overall, not too bad of a job.

Thread Information