Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How to repair 1997 seadoo xp speedometer gauge?

I'm looking for info on how to repair a 1997 seadoo xp speedometer. Any tips,tricks, or detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. The small wheel in the rear spins freely. What can I do to make this work?

+1
    No one has ever fixed this problem...?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    No...no one likes the dreamometer... Go with s mounted GPS. If your really going to fix it you just have to replace that black box with the wheel on your ride plate...

+1
    I just want everything on the ski to function correctly. This is my starter seadoo to prove to my wife that we could go out and have fun as a family on the water. We have had fun but a 97 xp is not a family ride. I just want to fix all the little things so when I sell it next year it's dialed in and I can upgrade to a new seadoo that's more family friendly. 97 xp's are fast and fun but a one person ride. I might keep because its a blast. I just hate shit not working dreamometer or not. I have a garmen gtx but don't have it mounted.
    Will a paddle wheel kit fix the problem? I haven't found the little box next to the wheel part number.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'm getting a box full of xp spares next week. Looks like two speedometers and a complete harness..perhaps I can provide a little help once I have that stuff in hand

85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462

Speedo generator

Quote Originally Posted by OC seadoo View Post
    I'm looking for info on how to repair a 1997 seadoo xp speedometer. Any tips,tricks, or detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. The small wheel in the rear spins freely. What can I do to make this work?
    Usually the spinning wheel is driving a slotted disc with IR infared emitting diode and IR sensor diode, example point TV remote at TV and change channel or whatever. The remote contains the IR diode which is outside your eyes visual spectrum the IR receiver diode in the TV sees the remotes coded pulse train and initiates your request. Another way is revolving magnet and a Hall Effect sensor, either way depending on the speed of rotation a series of pulses are transmitted to a digital counter in the speedo.

Usually what happens is either a bad connection which fails to send speed pulses to the speedo, or something is blocking the IR pulse generator like crap on the transmitter or receiving diodes. See these links:

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/...f?redirected=1 (most DVD drives have on it senses if a DVD has been inserted)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect (This is what most cars use for timing counting the teeth on a gear)

Take the spinning wheel off and see if you can open the attached case and clean the slotted disc and diode with alcohol and swab. Sometimes I have to use a razor saw and cut the case open then use GOOP to glue it back together. None of this electronic is difficult now most everything is either battery or ground, 1 & 0, binary. OEM's a screwing customers charging outrageous prices for maybe $10 worth of electronic. What really P.O. me is the bastards won't give out schematics and encapsulate the electronic in potting compounds.

I repaired an ignition module on a Honda MC for $0.47 instead of paying $300 for a replacement then took it to the dealer with a hand drawn schematic and told him the whole thing wasn't worth $5 in components! These companies hate my ass for fixing LCD TV's, building PC's, troubleshooting cars with OBD on-board-diagnostics etc. It really makes them mad is I tell people how their getting screwed!!!

you could also try running your hand up the wire that goes to your dash and see if it is broken or corroded. splice, heatshrink and viola. Happens to my skis occasionally.

+1
    I went out to rollins lake over Labor Day and let it fly! What an awesome Reservoir. The speedometer briefly started working many times throughout the day. I'm getting more comfortable on my ski. So it must be picking up a signal at higher speeds. Thanks to all the info. Think I'm going to try a new pickup wheel first. Mine spins and to a certain extent wobbles. Stoked the gauge worked!! Also I have been trying to run down the oil in the ski and avoid changing it. By the end of the day my red light indicating low oil level came on. Previous owner said he used cheap oil. So I bought xps synthetic blend and was waiting to burn through the old crappy shit to add the good stuff. I think I've seen the paddle wheel for about 34$. Thank u all for this site and your info. This is by far the best forum I have found.
    OC

I had an issue with a bad wire that caused the same problem. Can be a pain to find.

+1
    Pete do you have a schematic of that wiring? I'm betting on the paddle wheel because of how it wobbles when I spin it by hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information