Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drive line help!

Was riding one of my SLH's this morning. Stopped for a minute in the lake and next time I gave it throttle, wouldn't go. Engine revved in response to throttle, but no thrust - well, very little thrust. Almost like throttling up a boat in neutral. No unusual noises, etc.

Where should I look first? Drive coupling? I was able to idle back to the dock okay, so apparently not much slippage at idle. But when adding throttle and the ski starts to plow, can't get enough thrust to push the ski on to plane due to something slipping. Is there a way to test the coupling for slippage? I'll be searching for a solution this afternoon so any guidance is appreciated.

I guess it could have been slipping for a while and I didn't really notice it?

I haven't done much work on any of the pumps other than remove and install and check for abnormal wear & tear. Can't think of anything in there that might cause a problem - but I "could" be wrong.

+1
    have you checked for a jet pump blockage?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    time to pull the pump for inspection before things get even more expensive

Okay David, I crawled under the trailer removed the grate and looked up the inlet. Found a small piece (quarter size maybe?) of soft wood debris between the impeller and wear ring. It fell out when I touched it but if that was spinning around with the impeller, guess pump efficiency goes down the crapper.

No obvious damage to the impeller, wear ring or drive coupler but now the question is, did I screw anything up by riding it back to the dock like that?

Thanks for the help.

+1
    if its a drive coupler it will squeal , and if its been a long time since the coupler was going out u will see small rubber crumbles under it , if u have the new style rubber coupler

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyboy View Post
    Okay David, I crawled under the trailer removed the grate and looked up the inlet. Found a small piece (quarter size maybe?) of soft wood debris between the impeller and wear ring. It fell out when I touched it but if that was spinning around with the impeller, guess pump efficiency goes down the crapper.

No obvious damage to the impeller, wear ring or drive coupler but now the question is, did I screw anything up by riding it back to the dock like that?

Thanks for the help.
    with it being small. and soft wood i dont think it would ahve messed anything up, for i suspect that piece of wood was larger and the prop shreeded most of it up. if you want to check for wear ring damage, youd want to pull the pump and get some feeler gauges in there to see what the gap is. to see if its within limit or if you need a refurbed prop, or a new wear ring. hard to say, anything in the pump minus sea weed spinning at 6k rpm could do damage.

+1
    The wood is enough to kill your thrust. Probably didn't do much damage, but it wouldn't hurt to spend the 30 minutes or so to pull the pump and have a look see.... I sucked up a bunch of reeds not too long ago which caused the same issue. Luckily I had friends with small enough hands to pull the stuff out from around the prop.... Right David?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    The wood is enough to kill your thrust. Probably didn't do much damage, but it wouldn't hurt to spend the 30 minutes or so to pull the pump and have a look see.... I sucked up a bunch of reeds not too long ago which caused the same issue. Luckily I had friends with small enough hands to pull the stuff out from around the prop.... Right David?
    Hey man, I tried.......

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    no doubt you've got some wear ring damage..worth fixing? that depends how much thrust you've lost. Wood and other soft debris can cut a groove in the wear ring reducing the pump effectivenes.

Banned User
    +1
    I cant imagine a piece of wood doing too much damage to a stainless liner. A plastic one definitely, but not the stainless ones in a Polaris. The impeller can definitely get damaged though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information