Cruise control problems

So I took my ski with the new normal key to Pete's in Severna Park today to get it programmed. After paying $67 for an OEM key (I know, wasteful but wanted an OEM key) they wanted to charge me $60 to program it. After I argued that they previously told me it was $25, they only charged me $25.

They said my ski needed a software update before the key programming would begin. They did not ask me if I wanted the update and ran it and for the most part, I wouldn't think to have an issue with getting a "free" software update. Afterwards however, I took the ski out for a brief spin and the cruise control wouldn't set. Will take it out tomorrow to spend more time working with it. Maybe there are some functions that have to be worked through with the new key before everything works again.

Thoughts?

+1
    I don't think the new key has anything to doo with the cruise control..

I'm not suggesting it's the key; I am suggesting it's related to the software update which after some more testing today makes me think that's the case.

Today I found that the cruise is working, just not as it was prior. Yesterday, I only tried setting the cruise and dialing it down to 6mph. It wouldn't do it.

Today, I took it out and tested the cruise at all speeds, including dialing it up and down. Long story short, everything works except dialing it below 10mph from a higher speed. 10mph is the floor when dialing it down. I can set it at 6, but cannot dial down to 6 from higher speeds. I can dial up to higher speeds from any speed.

I am certain there was a cruise control update in the software update I received. Now, when I let off the throttle when in cruise mode, the cruise light flashes as a visual reminder that cruise mode is set. Previously, the cruise light would stay solid when I let off the throttle just the same as when I had the throttle engaged. The flashing light is a much stronger reminder that cruise is set than when it just stays solid. Also, I get the standard 2 chirps when I disengage cruise now. It used to be just one chirp.

Both normal keys exhibit the same behavior, so it is clearly how the ski is programmed now, not key specific.
    Last edited by cjhoward; 08-25-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    I welcome a cruise control update. I find cruise control border line dangerous. When on cruise doing a long trip I have had issues where the speed will slowly drop maybe 5mph off the set point and when it finally realizes this and corrects it does so at full throttle! Extremely dangerous if you aren't expecting it and 95% of my riding is with a passenger so dangerous for them as we'll.

i also find that to accelerate in cruise is very difficult. The first 7/8 of throttle travel does nothing, then the last 1/8th finally does something but it's acceleration at near full throttle. Again, makes for a very poor ride for the passenger. You have to warn them every time.

Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post
    I welcome a cruise control update. I find cruise control border line dangerous. When on cruise doing a long trip I have had issues where the speed will slowly drop maybe 5mph off the set point and when it finally realizes this and corrects it does so at full throttle! Extremely dangerous if you aren't expecting it and 95% of my riding is with a passenger so dangerous for them as we'll.

i also find that to accelerate in cruise is very difficult. The first 7/8 of throttle travel does nothing, then the last 1/8th finally does something but it's acceleration at near full throttle. Again, makes for a very poor ride for the passenger. You have to warn them every time.
    The update didn't change any of the effects you describe. I have experienced what you describe. I wonder if the system is so advanced that it is adjusting for torque on the impeller or some other type of feedback. I have seen significant variations if I make a hard turn while cruise is engaged.

+1
    I believe to set the cruise below 10mph you have to go into neutral and then set it for a speed of 1 mph up to maybe 10. It is something to that effect, I'm not 100% sure, only did it once.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjj View Post
    I believe to set the cruise below 10mph you have to go into neutral and then set it for a speed of 1 mph up to maybe 10. It is something to that effect, I'm not 100% sure, only did it once.
    Thanks much. I'll check into that.

Thread Information