Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will an older flywheel work? 2002 Freedom

Ok Ill try to make a long story short...

I'm working on a 2002 freedom 700..

A couple of weeks ago it had an intermittent miss and low power...

Last week hit a large wake and it stopped running completely...

No spark...

Went through the troubleshooting steps... everything checked out up to the stator...

Pulled the flywheel and BAM! Stator mount is brken an the flywheel and stator are chewed to peices.

HERE IS THE QUESTION: I have an older twin carb 700 with a brand new flywheel (pvl 552 01-51). Can I use it?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    See my signature links, domestic red motor section, for the difference between regular and High Start flywheels.

You can swap between the two, but you must adjust the timing ring on the flywheel and check timing with a timing light after installation.

Banned User
    +1
    Weren't the 2002s the high start flywheels? If so, you will have to adjust your timing to come up to spec.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Weren't the 2002s the high start flywheels? If so, you will have to adjust your timing to come up to spec.
    Going from memory, some 2002-2004 carb engines used the High Start flywheel and some models still used the 'regular' timing flywheel.

In my signature links is the actual details, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Going from memory, some 2002-2004 carb engines used the High Start flywheel and some models still used the 'regular' timing flywheel.

Do I need to switch the timing ring? They are different. One has a small magnet in it the other does not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidedoors69 View Post

Do I need to switch the timing ring? They are different. One has a small magnet in it the other does not.
    Both timing rings should have magnets (one in each), since that is how it provides the magnetic pulse to the Hall Effect sensors in the stator.

Quote Originally Posted by suicidedoors69 View Post

Both timing rings should have magnets (one in each), since that is how it provides the magnetic pulse to the Hall Effect sensors in the stator.
    Ok thats what I thought... The timing ring from the damaged flywheel has no magnets in the slots (must have come out during failure)... The timing ring in the pvl 522 01-51 has only one place for a magnet... this will obviously not work, correct?

+1
    There is exactly ONE small magnet in a domestic engine timing ring.

That magnet passes three Hall Effect sensors in the stator to trigger the spark on each cylinder (two sensors on the two cylinder engines).

+1
    As long as you can get enough timing advance to get to the timing you need at 3000rpm the older flywheel should be fine. If you are unsure if the magnets in the center piece are ok post a few pics of both of them and we can take a look and see what you have.

When I installed the ignition update kit on my 'Cane I had to get a high-start flywheel so I could get enough advance to get the 20 degrees at 3000rpm that I needed. The original flywheel limited me to about 16 degrees if I remember right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    As long as you can get enough timing advance to get to the timing you need at 3000rpm the older flywheel should be fine. If you are unsure if the magnets in the center piece are ok post a few pics of both of them and we can take a look and see what you have.

When I installed the ignition update kit on my 'Cane I had to get a high-start flywheel so I could get enough advance to get the 20 degrees at 3000rpm that I needed. The original flywheel limited me to about 16 degrees if I remember right.
    It is possible to use a round file to make the slots in the flywheel longer to achieve more timing adjustment range.

It is important that this be done carefully, as the curved slots control how the timing ring is centered in the stator when everything is assembled. You do not want the timing ring to be wobbling in operation due to sloppy filing of the slots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information