New ski and have some questions

Well I got my new RXT 260 out today for the first time. Only took it out for 30 minutes today just to make sure everything is working right. I got a few questions though. I was using the learner key just to keep myself under control during the break in period. When do I have to bring the ski in for the break in service? Didn't it change. I tired to hit the Sport and ECO mode buttons on the left side of the handle bar and the ski didn't change modes. Is this because I had the learner key or because of the break in mode programmed to the ECU? When I turn the handle bar all the way to the left or right, I hear a noise near the back of the ski that sounds a little different than the engine, almost like water rushing through. Is this noise normal and I just never heard it on my suspension ski because it was quieter? Lastly, the hatches on the rear. They seem like water can get in there. I ride in salt water only so this concerns me. Are they water proof or does water get in there? Do guys rinse off the components under the hatch after each ride? If they do let a little water in, is there anyway to make them water tight? Whats up with the new hole right above the flush port that spits out water when im flushing it? My 2011 never had it and then there is a little hole on each side at the lowest point in the footwell. Are these drains or what are they? Which bilge pump do guys put in? I want one that will keep the water level very low in case of a broke carbon seal. Is 2000gph enough?

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    1.. after 25 hours

2. ski wont change modes with learner key. should go into eco though.. I broke my ski in with the regular key and sport mode.. if its going to blow up .. it will blow in the first 15 min..

3. noise from steering not sure what your talking about but if you were moving 20mph (for example) and let off the throttle and turned the steering the engine will rev up to help you steer (OTAS)..

4. take the hatches off after every use so the seals don't deform and you should check them for leaks by running a hose over them adjust as needed... I rarely get water in them..

5.bilge pump... get what ever size you feel you need.. no such thing as too big.. I run an 800 (runs constantly, runs dry) some people use twin 1100's its your ski put in what you want.. something is better than nothing

+1
    First off, I hope you are enjoying your new ski. I have a 2010 I bought new and it now has 113 almost trouble free hours. I have no engine problems, but I did have warped rear hatches, the ones you asked about being water tight. I dont think you are ever going to get those panels to be water tight. As stated, just adjust them the best you can and go with it. Do the water hose test, by running water over them and look in with a flashlight from the eng. comp. or pull the opposite panel to see if they are leaking. Now when I broke my ski in, I followd the book and the recommendations of everyone on here. If you look up some of the thread, you will see people say NOT to use the learner ski, that way your ski will be able to hit all the rpms. If your in saltwater most of the time, I would rinse it off at least every other ride or def. when you see salt deposits in the eng. compartment. Get yourself some Fluid Film and spray down the compartment good and this will stop most corrosion process if saltwater get on the eng/parts of the eng. bay. Good luck with the ski and ENJOY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Racer View Post
    1.. after 25 hours

2. ski wont change modes with learner key. should go into eco though.. I broke my ski in with the regular key and sport mode.. if its going to blow up .. it will blow in the first 15 min..

3. noise from steering not sure what your talking about but if you were moving 20mph (for example) and let off the throttle and turned the steering the engine will rev up to help you steer (OTAS)..

4. take the hatches off after every use so the seals don't deform and you should check them for leaks by running a hose over them adjust as needed... I rarely get water in them..

5.bilge pump... get what ever size you feel you need.. no such thing as too big.. I run an 800 (runs constantly, runs dry) some people use twin 1100's its your ski put in what you want.. something is better than nothing
    The noise from the steering is at low speeds. Also, I don't get a water temperature guage anymore. My 2011 RXT 260 IS had one, but the 2013 RXT 260 doesn't have one? Doesn't really make sense.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxt260_IS View Post
    1.. after 25 hours

The noise from the steering is at low speeds. Also, I don't get a water temperature guage anymore. My 2011 RXT 260 IS had one, but the 2013 RXT 260 doesn't have one? Doesn't really make sense.
    It's there-just push Display, then the down arrow.....should show up(that is for Engine Temp). If you push just the Up arrow, you are missing half the things that can be displayed-it doesn't make a full circle......not sure why.
    But, according to the manual-it's there.
    Display>V Arrow/button
    Water Temp is shown in the small window to the Left of the engine hours in a small window at the bottom of the gauge-should be there.

The noise you hear while steering is the OPAS-they make a grinding noise...it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rxt260_IS View Post
    1.. after 25 hours

It's there-just push Display, then the down arrow.....should show up(that is for Engine Temp). If you push just the Up arrow, you are missing half the things that can be displayed-it doesn't make a full circle......not sure why.
    But, according to the manual-it's there.
    Display>V Arrow/button
    Water Temp is shown in the small window to the Left of the engine hours in a small window at the bottom of the gauge-should be there.

The noise you hear while steering is the OPAS-they make a grinding noise...it's normal.
    There is the box to the left of the engine hours for the water temperature, but there was nothing there. Do the RXT 260's not have it anymore or is something wrong?

Banned User
    +1
    Something is wrong. Perhaps the wire from the temp sensor to the fuse block is disconnected. Have the dealer handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Something is wrong. Perhaps the wire from the temp sensor to the fuse block is disconnected. Have the dealer handle it.
    Will do. Probably will get it done when I take it for the break in service since it's not a big deal.

Thread Information