Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove the head to get the fu!!ing exhaust out ?? 1200xll help

I got the exhaust out somehow but it has been a year since. I am now trying to get it all back together and can not get the fu!!ing exhaust to go back in. Do you need to remove the head ?? Please any help would be great before I get the saws all out and start cutting

thanks

+1
    It will go back in just keep trying starting from the back of the motor twisting the pipe everywhich way. Ignition box out, slide water box all the way back, all mounts off pipe, power valve cables and mounts out of the way also,

+1
    Also take the back mount behind the head off also, take some time....you will get it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    solving a rubiks cube with a hangover is sometimes easier then getting the pipe out or in.

best advice is to remove the mounts on the heads.

Patience is the key.

That's one of my top ten "I hate this crap" jobs

OK I finally got a few chunks of nucle missing and some scratches to the gel coat around the engine bay. I ended up with all the mounts off the engine and also the big alum. mount off the bottom of the pipe. Man I hope this thing runs for the next 100hrs with no problems or it is going to the scrap yard.

I was thinking of making a you tube video on it but it would be nothing but swear words

Thanks again for the tips.

Funny that you posted this.

I just put a GP1200R back together for the first time. Had put the exhaust manifold on and set the head in place (didn't torgue yet), then went to put the rest of the exhaust on. Could not believe I couldn't get it in there somehow without taking the head back off. Then, got the 2nd exhaust peice in (the one right after the manifold) and went bolt it in place and found out you need to pull it out and put two of the bolts in the holes before you set it in place, or there's not room to get the bolts in.

For as many times as people take the stinger off the adjust carbs, and do other "common" work (like replace a piston/cylinder), it would be nice if some folks posted suggestions on the ORDER of removal/replacement for common jobs, or tricks like "make sure you do "x" before you do "y"

+1
    Hey KMC, funny also that you found yourself @ the same spot ... I just took my head off to send to Jim's performance. And I decided to go ahead and install the 4* keyway that has been sitting on my work bench all season
    so I start the exhausting procedure of removing the entire muffler system and as you know its a bitch. I made the dumb mistake of thinking I could just remove the horseshoe part and not have remove the stinger ... well I was wrong Ha Ha. As I also discovered, two of the bolts on the exhaust side will not come out all the way (to long) ... I am still waiting on the heads, should have them Tuesday 3rd .. so have all the parts laying on my garage floor. Any advice you may have on the re-install will be greatly appreicated let us know how it is going. Thanks Good luck

+1
    I've found that if you loosen or remove the exhaust side motor mount bolts, and loosen the carb side bolts, the engine will tilt toward the carb side just enough to get those two long bolts in or out of the manifold/pipe. A lift or chain fall to help lift/tilt or at least another person is mandatory.

+1
    XLT and GPR U pipe removal requires a 14mm impact wiggle socket to loosen the 2 bolts closest to the hull

GPR you can get the socket right in there, but the XLT requires the hull to be moved away a bit. I know this sounds scary, but I take a piece of pipe, and "flex" the hull away just a bit to fit the socket in there

Once the bolts are loose, you dont need to remove the bolts, just leave them in the pipe, and twist the pipe counter clockwise to get it out (and reverse to get it back in). From the left side of the ski, grab the pipe with your left hand at the place where the pipe bolts to the front of the engine, and rotate CCW while coming out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    XLT and GPR U pipe removal requires a 14mm impact wiggle socket to loosen the 2 bolts closest to the hull

GPR you can get the socket right in there, but the XLT requires the hull to be moved away a bit. I know this sounds scary, but I take a piece of pipe, and "flex" the hull away just a bit to fit the socket in there

Once the bolts are loose, you dont need to remove the bolts, just leave them in the pipe, and twist the pipe counter clockwise to get it out (and reverse to get it back in). From the left side of the ski, grab the pipe with your left hand at the place where the pipe bolts to the front of the engine, and rotate CCW while coming out.
    Excellent, thank you!!! My son and I have done GPR's but we still have to do our neighbors XLT and I had no idea removing the exhaust on them was any harder than a GPR. Thanks big time for the 'pipe trick'!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information