Thread: 2001 gp1200r

2001 gp1200r

I'm rookie first time owner of a ski. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix or help the low speed wobble ? After planing out going around 15 to 20 it wobbles left and right when I speed up it goes away.

+1
    Welcome rwellsauto..
    do a search on "chine walk" or "gpr happy dance". this should get you started with a few ideas on what's going on and a few steps that others claim helped them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rwellsauto View Post
    I'm rookie first time owner of a ski. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix or help the low speed wobble ? After planing out going around 15 to 20 it wobbles left and right when I speed up it goes away.
    That's the cure, "speed up"...it stops doing the "GPR happy dance" around 30+.
    Do a search for 'stepping' the sponsons, that will help a little and something you need to do anyway. It won't stop the 'happy dance' though, speeding up to 30+ is when it settles down.
    It 'is' a GPR after all...open that thing up and have some fun!

+1
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. I have two GPRs and they both do the famed "Happy Dance", I have come to enjoy it. It is kinda nice just to gently rock from side to side and enjoy the ride. Have fun

What will stepping the sponsons do ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rwellsauto View Post
    What will stepping the sponsons do ?
    Improves handling and tracking. Again, "Do a search for 'stepping' the sponsons."..."stepping gpr sponsons"...and you will find abundant info.
    Since you're new, here ya go...spoon fed links.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/sear...archid=3912995
    As suggested, putting "gpr happy dance" into the search function will get you some more info specific to the GPR.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/sear...archid=3912982

Oh, and...Welcome to GH!!!
    Last edited by TexasZ; 08-27-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added Welcome!

+1
    There are always engineering sacrifices that need to be made when designing cars, watercraft, motorcycles, etc. You cannot have a vehicle that has excellent towing capacity like a diesel rig, that rides like a cadillac, with the fuel economy of a Honda civic and accellerates and handles like a motorcycle. Something must be sacrificed to gain something else.

A Yamaha Blaster I was designed to ride like a motorcycle, but it is so unstable, just sitting on it is a chore for some folks. Some cannot even get on it in deep water! A sacrifice of low speed stability and high speed for great turning ability.

A Yamaha Raider was designed for a great top end in straight line riding (for its engine size), but you can seriously hurt yourself at high speed in rough water because it had a bad tendency to dart left or right once you launch from a wave....... No handleing for great straight line speed.

Cigarette boats chine walk at low speeds. They were not designed for low speeds.

The GPR is a performance craft that does not like low speeds either. Chine walking is a small price to pay for all of the great things that it was designed to do.

Who rides a GPR 20 mph anyway? It is like buying a Camero to go to Sunday church.

Well I ride it because it was given to me.. We like to go fast, but as I said I have never owned a ski and just thought something was wrong with it. But thanks for the lesson on engineering.

Thanks for the info texasZ

Thread Information