Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rebuilt motor runs great but very hard turn over in water

OK, so it's me again. Finally got this rebuild done and got to test it. The good news is it still floats after pump shoe replacement. It also turns over easily with no plugs. Takes some effort with plugs in and ski out of water. When it is in the water, it turns over super slow but will crank after it fires about 3 times. A couple times it pulled so much it reset the computer. It's been run at half throttle for about 45 minutes so far. I used engine assembly lube on it. My only concern is oil pressure. Would I get a warning if there wasn't any oil pressure? I know it's going to be tight due to the rebuild but I thought it would loosen up by now? My other thought was the battery doesn't have enough to start it. It reads 12.4 volts with the volt meter. Any help or suggestions are always greatly appreciated!

+1
    what was your bearing clearances? a fresh shortblock with no rockers bolted on or spark plugs should rotate super smooth with very little effort.

+1
    misaligned engine would cause hard turnover and will sink you if it's that bad.

+1
    What is the voltage of the battery while cranking?

I used the alignment tool and got everything nice and lined up. I will have to measure the voltage while cranking and report back. As far as bearing clearances, I didn't write them down but they are within spec. I used plastigage to check crank and countershaft clearances before assembly. If anything they're on the loose end of the scale.

With the plugs out it turns over easily.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    probably your battery..

+1
    Battery

Get a good one. Not a walmart cheapo.

Make sure all your connections on the batery and engine are tight.

Running like you are will fry the starter solenoid quickly.

I have a little more info on this, and I still hope it's the battery. Backed it into the water a couple days ago and it started like it was supposed to. Ran it for about 15 minutes at varying throttle positions and turned it off and let it sit for a minute. Tried starting again and it turned over super slow. If there was an oil problem, wouldn't it be giving me a warning, or limp mode or something? Unfortunately I wasn't able to check battery voltage while starting because it was on the water and I didn't have any help. I will check it out of the water at least. Does this still sound like the battery? If I let it sit long enough, it starts normally. Thanks for all your help.

+1
    how old is the battery? what ski you have and what year?

Any way you can hook a voltage meter to it then take it out and see what voltage your getting while cranking and while running?

Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    how old is the battery? what ski you have and what year? Ski is a 2002 GTX 4TEC freshly rebuilt. Has maybe an hour on it so far.

Any way you can hook a voltage meter to it then take it out and see what voltage your getting while cranking and while running?
    Ski is a 2002 GTX 4TEC freshly rebuilt. Has maybe an hour on it so far.

The battery was "supposedly" new when I got the ski a couple years ago. I've kept it on a maintenance charger most of its life.
    I will try the meter and report back. I'll have to get some clips to hold on to the terminals since I'm trying all this myself.

Can an auto parts place test the battery to check cold cranking amps? Wasn't sure if they could do the smaller ones or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information