Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP seadoo speedster blowing both MPEM fuses

I need some help here guys. I picked this thing up from a friend that didn't have time for it anymore. after a few items were replaced it was up and running. we had it on the water running great for about 15 minutes and then all of the sudden everything stopped except the bilge pump. we got towed back to shore and I've been troubleshooting since.

I pulled the panel off and found both 5A MPEM fuses blown, as well as several others. when I replaced all of the blown fuses the only two that continue to blow are the 5a MPEMs. I'm needing help understanding how to test to see if it's bad. another concern I have is that he was running a single battery vs. the dual factory setup. when I took it home I purchased two new factory spec batteries, but I may have the wires hooked up wrong as I couldn't find much in the manual. any advice there would be helpful also.

rewired the batteries per the diagram in the manual. STILL blowing both 5A fuses. really need some help here guys! its a 95 btw.

+1
    5amp fuse covers the gauges, start stop buttons and switches. Unplug everything and then one by one plug them back in and when it blows, you found your problem...Kind of a hit or miss way of doing it but by far the easiest.

Also unplug the stators from the front of the motor.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    5amp fuse covers the gauges, start stop buttons and switches. Unplug everything and then one by one plug them back in and when it blows, you found your problem...Kind of a hit or miss way of doing it but by far the easiest.

Also unplug the stators from the front of the motor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuses.PNG 
Views:	2530 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	311840

the 5A fuses on the speedster power the actual board itself from what I can tell. the gauges have seperate circuits. I've already tried pulling all other fuses and only inserting the 5A and it still blows. the only test I can think to do before sending it off for repair is pulling the board out and only hooking up power to the board to see if it still blows. if yes then I'll send it off for repair.

Name:	20130827_061643.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	311893
    also does anyone know what the black thing in the yellow circle is? there's supposed to be one at the connection in the red circle as well but it's been cut out for some reason.

update: I pulled the MPEM completely out and bench tested. fuses still blowing. sent it off for repair last week. hopefully this will fix it
    Last edited by sulfurburner; 06-17-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Who is fixing this? I have a newer boat with an MPEM issue (not blowing a fuse, or at least I think it isn't) and trying to find a repair or replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ruralbrew View Post
    Who is fixing this? I have a newer boat with an MPEM issue (not blowing a fuse, or at least I think it isn't) and trying to find a repair or replacement.
    I found a guy named Mike at All Things Custom in TX. He was the only one I could find that was able to do the repair I needed. I got my MPEM back last week and that took care of my issue.

It is A 1/4watt 20K resistor in the yellow circle and missing in the red is the 20K resistor

Quote Originally Posted by sulfurburner View Post

Name:	20130827_061643.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	311893
    also does anyone know what the black thing in the yellow circle is? there's supposed to be one at the connection in the red circle as well but it's been cut out for some reason.
    It is A 1/4watt 20K resistor in the yellow circle and missing in the red is the 20K resistor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information