Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help identifying a part on a YAMAHA FX HO 2004. LOTS OF OIL IN THE HULL....

Hi everyone,

New to the form and hoping i can get some help identifying a loose part on the engine block.

Went to take out the ski last weekend and got a low oil level warning light after a couple of minutes. Didn't think much of it, so shut it down and put it back on the floating dock. I didn't have a chance to pick up some engine oil till yesterday.

I was very suprised when it took two quarts to bring it back up to normal. Started up seemed good, took it out for a spin. 10 mins into ride, started acting funny. Seemed like i picked up something in the intake. Beached it and did not find anything in the intake.

But, i did notice that the bilge pump was spitting out A STEADY STREAM OF OIL! Pulled the seat off and could see a lake of oil in the bottom of the ski.

Checked the oil level and still had oil but was getting very very low. i was close to home so i started it up (RAN PERFECT) and slowly cruised back to the dock.

After pulling the seat off again, i looked over the engine and noticed something funny (BESIDE THE POOL OF OIL IN THE BOTTOM OF THE SKI). There is a part that looks loose and out of place on the block. I looked throught skematics from boats.net and can't seem to identify it.

With the ski running, oil is splurting and splatter out of the part/hole that part fits into. Definetly the problem, just dont know what it is.

Attached are some pics that i took.

Looks like there are two screws that hold the part in place, but they ARE GONE and the part is entirely loose. Can see some sort of metal gasket too.

PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1504.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	311405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1505.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	311406

+1
    Can't tell from the pictures where it is but I wonder if that is in the oil pump area?

+1
    The part is right in front of the oil reservoir.
    can you remove it? when you say loose, how do you know its loose?

Here is another picture that i drew on to show its location in contrast to other parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1506_mod.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	311439

I know it is loose because i can just barely reach is with my index finger, and i was able to semi rotate it and move it back and forth about a half inch.

It is cylindrical in shape and has two screws that mount it in place (that are totall missing).

+1
    Hard to tell exactly by your pics, but looks like the timing chain tensioner......I maybe wrong......never had to work on that area, so don't know what the oil flow is like there or how it works exactly. Could also be the oil pressure switch, but this screws in, unlike the tensioner which is held in by two bolts as you describe.......the oil pressure switch is on the block underneath the tensioner. If you do not get an answer here, post this up on PWC Today.......frenchie will have the answers for you!
    Last edited by volltrex; 08-26-2013 at 04:14 PM.

+1
    Look through a illustrated parts breakdown on any site that seeks oem parts and try to locate that way.

+1
    Its the tensioner better have it towed to the trailer do not run it again

That's it!! Definitely the belt tensioner! Yup, gotta tow it and pull it out of the water to fix and drain all the oil out.

How the hell does that happen anyways? Never heard of a belt tensioner coming loose on it own, guess its just my luck....

Do you think I can just screw it back into place? I imagine it just needs to be screwed back in since it is still running fine.

Thanks for the help.

Will post up my results after I get it out of the water this weekend.

+1
    How long have you owned the ski? Any previous work not too long ago?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information