Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Improvised Fuel Meter Ideas

hey guys,

Looking for ideas for an improvised fuel meter. My Polaris SL 650 does not have a fuel gauge which is a problem for me cause i dont wanna get stranded on the river!

Currently, i am using a white shoe string tied to some stainless steel washers than i lower into the top of the tank (you have to take off the trunk storage container under the hood). It works Ok. I can read it using my sense of touch, but the gas is clear so its hard to see with my eyes.

I was wondering if any of u guys made a fuel meter, maybe a mechical one? Or possibly a dip stick type meter than changes color to the gas, like a pH paper.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
    - TyCast

+1
    What year is your SL? I *thought* that all skis at least had a mechanical fuel gauge. Is it possible a previous owner removed it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    What year is your SL? I *thought* that all skis at least had a mechanical fuel gauge. Is it possible a previous owner removed it?
    The 92 was as bare bones as it gets including no fuel gauge. It did include a temp and oil sensor connected to a buzzer, but thats it.....

+1
    You could buy a couple of these sled tank fittings, (#8 & #9) and add a couple of 90*s with a piece of clear tubing in between. Of course, you run the risk of adding 2 more places for a fuel to leak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7701A04.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	311490  

Its ä 1993 Ski, and it looks bare bojnes like u describe. No gauges at all for RPM, speed, oil level, etc. I will take a photo of the "dash" soon. The dash didnt look like it had a fuel gauge, or would the mechanical level be inside the tank? I just had an idea. Put a dark-colored floating object inside the tank that was tethered. Might be hard to see cause the tank is opaque, not clear. and it might make annoying knocking sounds inside the tank during a run.

And the tank doesnt look like that one in the picture u posted CrazyA. It looks more U-shaped, like a half-pipe, with one side higher than the other (the side with the fuel line cluster on the cap).

im going to keep pondering it....

Banned User
    +1
    Get a tank from a 94 that has the hole in it for a fuel sender. Then install a fuel gauge. Or get a tank from a 95 that uses the aluminum 1 piece pickup and sender in it. Then install an MFD and get all kinds of info from your machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Get a tank from a 94 that has the hole in it for a fuel sender. Then install a fuel gauge. Or get a tank from a 95 that uses the aluminum 1 piece pickup and sender in it. Then install an MFD and get all kinds of info from your machine.
    Dont need a 95 alum pickup to make the MFD read fuel level, I did not change out the Fuel sender in my 94 SL650 and Fuel gauge reads fine, that being said, the alum is a better built fuel sender

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Dont need a 95 alum pickup to make the MFD read fuel level, I did not change out the Fuel sender in my 94 SL650 and Fuel gauge reads fine, that being said, the alum is a better built fuel sender
    I know you dont need it, but its a better fuel pick up

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    You could buy a couple of these sled tank fittings, (#8 & #9) and add a couple of 90*s with a piece of clear tubing in between. Of course, you run the risk of adding 2 more places for a fuel to leak.
    What Art is describing is a sight glass tube.

It would work, but you would still need to open the hood and eyeball the thing to see what the fuel level is.

By far the best approach is to find a newer year fuel tank that comes with the sender. Then you can install either an analog fuel gauge by itself or a full MFD which could display fuel level plus lots of other useful info, especially engine RPM.

+1
    How about an easier solution, this ski should have a reserve setting for fuel, run until you have to switch to reserve & at that time head back. Now I don't know how far up the river or how far away from where you launch the ski is, reserve is usually good for only 10 miles. To be safe sometime stick close to your launch site & ride around till in needs reserve then head back & top off the fuel tank so see how much was left when you went to reserve, this will give you an idea of how far you can go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information