95 SL750 oil pump shaft removal

Hello Everyone! I just recently came across a smoking deal of a shorelandr trailer and a ski for $300! Couldn't pass it up so I pounced on it. Was never very familiar with jet skis, but always worked on all my sleds and atvs, from wheel bearings to engine rebuilds. I figured it can't be very complicated, and began researching its known problems, and ordered the new parts to correct these issues. The most major issue was the oil injection. Somehow a check valve or something failed and filled the whole motor with oil. To the very top of the pistons to be exact. After turning it on its side or a day, and turning the motor over every now and then, I got all the oil I could out of it. Since thenn I did have it running hooked up to a hose or about 30 seconds just to burn the rest of the oil out. I removed the oil pump because I'm just going to mx it, but I cannot seem to get the shaft out of the block. It moves back and forth within the block, but then just hangs up at a certain point. Any ideas?

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! All of the good motors I have pulled came out very easily. I just removed an oil pump from a crank that had metal debris in it. Wouldn't come out until I split the cases..... Not sure if you have some debris or damage to the worm gears, but it is possible.....

Pull harder??

Am I just trying to do it the wrong way? I'm grabbing the shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers. If I can't get it out would it be a possibility to leave the shaft in with the block off plate installed?

+1
    The drive gear is meshed with the crank. It will rotate slightly when you pull it out because the gears are meshed. Might want to try something more like a pair of small channel locks to get a better grip since it is, well, oily in there.....

If you can't get it out, I would say that something is wrong with it. I wouldn't leave it in there with the block off installed over top as it may cause future issues. In addition, with out the pump installed, it may not quite be aligned right causing potential issues as well. But, you might get lucky.....

Good news and bad news! I have an oily keyboard now, But I got it out! I didn't realize it was two pieces so every time I was pulling it slightly out, I would put my finger in to see if it moved and it pushed the bushing the drive gear is in back in as well. Thanks for all your help! I wish everything in life was this simple.

+1
    Ha ha!! Good deal!

Thread Information