Unhappy Kawasaki Stx-12f pulling to the right/ tipping

Have a 2005 12f. Has always felt like it pull to the right, but it doesn't feel like the steering is out of align because any adjustment left it goes left, its not like it wants to turn right, more like pull down and dig in on the right of that makes sense. Its worse in strong current. Any way two times now (2/2) in the inlet with a stronger current making a semi tight turn at low speed (idle or slightly above) the thing has almost tipped over to the right, throwing me and my buddy off the first time, I was able to correct the second time. I assume this isn't normal correct?? any one have any ideas? no hull damage, and ride plate looked fine.

+1
    What is the combined weight between you and your buddy? Which way is he leaning to look around you? At idle or just slightly above idle it's gonna be tippy when weighted down.

were pretty light, maybe 310 (me 170 him about 140) second time There was three of of probably around 420...I guess its possible that I just need to get used to handling it in strong current? Guy riding with us saw it happen and though it looked pretty crazy he was fine doing the same maneuvers on his seadoo. Are these skis known to be less stable?

+1
    STX's since 2000, 12F's, 15F's, all have the same hull...very stable unless overloaded. 2 up is ok with the 310 weight, 3 up with the 420 weight doesn't work out very well even though the ski is rated for it.
    You need to speed up, get it up on plane and learn to ride that way. Just like a motorcycle becomes more stable with some speed, the same principle applies with jet ski's.

+1
    Make sure your sponsons are in good condition

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Skis dont like it when its 2 or 3 up with all GUYS on it......

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If it is pulling at speed check to make sure the intake grate and ride plate arent hanging down below the hull. People complain about riding two up on the ultras and I just laugh, riding 3 up on an stx takes actual skill.

Sean

So I guess I can chalk up the almost tipping to just needing to use more power to control it in rougher water, and I gotta get under there and check the intake / ride plate to make solve the pulling issue. Sponsons are in good condition did check those. Yeah, first time I had three people we were probably 460-470 and you definitely had to work a bit to keep it going how you wanted, but stayed in the back waters that day. Thanks guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    If it is pulling at speed check to make sure the intake grate and ride plate arent hanging down below the hull. People complain about riding two up on the ultras and I just laugh, riding 3 up on an stx takes actual skill.

Sean
    There is also a black seal on both sides underneath the front of the rideplate that sometimes works it way out and hangs down a little...and a little is all it takes to make the ski pull to one side. As Sean mentioned, check it over thoroughly.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information